Chapter 21

It had been nearly two weeks since I'd inadvertently told Logan's daughter about Richard.  According to Logan, she barely spoke to him and only communicated via text.  He wasn't sure if it was a direct result of the revelation or if some of it had to do with the fact her grandparents had accepted his offer to visit.  Apparently, their relationship was poor, at best.  It was only more strained when they decided to bring along her late mother's girlfriend.  He said in all of their grief, they, somehow, came to the conclusion that a little part of their daughter was better than none at all.  It also included attempting to mend their relationship with their only grandchild.

I had only gotten little snippets from Logan, and Richard had been mum on all things sister-related.  My son told me that he didn't want to betray her trust, not only as a brother, but as her best friend as well.  While I didn't like being kept in the dark, I respected his integrity and loyalty.  He did promise to let me know if he was worried about her in a more serious way.  So far, it had seemed to be mostly a battle of wills.  I was reminded of my own fights with my mother and of those with Logan.  I wondered how much longer he was going to last.  I knew it was eating him up inside.

Logan: I know what we can do!

He seemed to have texted me mid-thought, as if I'd know he was talking about.

Rory: About what?

Instead of a texted reply, he called.

"The whole Viv thing," he answered.

"And hello to you, too," I chuckled.

"I just don't know how much more of this I can take.  She's never been like this with me.  I've always been the good guy.  I know that's hard to believe," he explained further.

"You are being too hard on yourself," I countered.

"She's barely spoken to me.  Although, she's been complaining about Odette's parents to me until she realizes what she's doing and abruptly stops," he revealed.

"That's a good sign.  She wants to talk to you," I replied.

"I wish she'd stop being so stubborn," he lamented.

"I wonder where she got that," I retorted, trying to hide the smile in my voice.

"You're not helping," he countered playfully.

"Sorry -" my laughter couldn't be stifled any longer.

"Anyway," he said over my giggles.  He waited for me to be done.  I don't know why I found it all so amusing, but the irony of his statement had triggered me.

"Ok," I said once I caught my breath.  "So, what's your solution?"

"Dinner," he replied plainly.

"I don't follow."

"All of us, together, for dinner," he clarified.

"I'm not sure that's such a good idea.  I mean, she was pretty pissed at me and rightfully so."

"Ace, if we are going to make all of this work, we've got to move beyond this," he said firmly.

"Make all of what work?" I asked.

"I mean what I said that night.  I'm not letting you go..." his voice softened and trailed off.

"Logan..."

"No, Rory, I'm serious.  I want to give us another shot," he replied.

"I do, too, but I don't want it to move too fast," I said worriedly.

"We can go at whatever pace you decide," he offered.

"It's not just for me.  I'm concerned about Richard...and Vivienne."