Chapter 2

After my heart-to-heart with Richard, I was thankful Dad was insistent on him having his own mode of transportation.  So, when he turned sixteen, Dad bought him a new car.  It wasn't anything fancy, but it alleviated our burden as a taxi service.  Dad also gave him his old motorcycle.  I hated it, but he'd been intrigued with motorcycles since I could remember.  Dad only encouraged the obsession with toys and books.  It was something they'd really bonded over through the years.  He once told me riding motorcycle helped him clear his mind.

I sat in the same spot for ten minutes before I finally mustered up the courage to look for Logan.  I needed to start this process, not only for Richard but for myself, too.  I'd been holding onto this secret for over eighteen years, and now, I had to face the music. 

I had no idea where to start as I'd never really stalked anyone before.  I mean, there was the time I threatened to stalk Logan to find out more about the Life and Death Brigade, but that was completely different.  Now, there were a million different social media platforms.  Despite the fact he was part of the HPG Media empire, I doubted that he'd be much of a presence on any of the social media platforms. 

I decided to go old school and fired up the old Google box for a good old-fashioned online search.  I typed in his name and clicked enter.  The search yielded thousands of results, including many recent articles about him.  I began reading the various articles, gathering any information I could.  I wanted something to help me in any way. 

After reading a couple of articles, I became totally engrossed, borderline obsessed.  It seemed that Mitchum, his dad, had finally retired.  Logan was officially taking over HPG, which had its headquarters in Hartford.  It meant he was moving back here if he hadn't already.  About six months ago, Logan became a widower.  Odette died in a car accident in the midst of their divorce.  I also read about Vivienne.  She was their only child together.  I wonder if Richard is still in touch with her, I thought.  I quickly shot him a text.

Rory: I'm not sure if you're still in touch with Vivienne, but don't say anything about our chat, ok?  At least, not right now.  This is something I've got to face first.

Richard: Ok, Mom.  I haven't said anything to her.  I should let you know that she's at tennis today.  She just started with the club.

Rory: Just don't say anything or act weird.  I want it to come from me.

Richard: Got it, Mom.  I know.

I bit the bullet and called HPG Headquarters.  I had no idea if I'd get through to him or if he'd get a message if I left it, but it was worth a shot.  I took a deep breath and dialed the number I'd found online.  Fortunately, he wasn't available, so I left a message on his voicemail.

"Hey, Logan.  It's Rory.  Saw that you were moving back and thought maybe we could get together for a cup of coffee," I said and left my number.

While I was relieved at first, simply leaving a message didn't sit well with me.  I just needed to get on with this for Richard's sake.  I considered calling the last number I had for him, but the likelihood he kept this number was pretty low.  It hadn't been in my phone for ages, but I still knew it by heart.  I dialed it anyway.  I didn't know what to expect.

"Huntzberger," he said.

I immediately hung up.  What the hell am I doing?  Quit being such a chicken, Rory, I thought.  I threw caution to the wind and dialed the number a second time.

"Huntzberger," he said.  I couldn't speak.  My vocal cords were suddenly paralyzed.  My lips moved, but no sound came out.

"Rory, I know it's you," he continued gently.

Crap!  Crap!  Crap!  He's still got my number? I thought.

"Hi, Logan," I said meekly.

"Is everything ok?" he whispered.  Memories came flooding back.  I started thinking about how I'd depended on him the year leading up to our goodbye.  It had become almost like a reflex to call him whenever I had an issue.

"Yeah....I.....um.....I tried your office," I stammered as I replied.

"Oh, what's going on?"

"I see that you're back in Hartford," I stated.

"Yeah, I just officially moved back last week," he said.

"I was....umm....wondering if we could get together for coffee.  Maybe catch up?" I suggested.

"I don't know if that's such a good idea," he countered with hesitation in his voice.

"I would really appreciate it," I said, feeling a sudden sense of bravery.  I felt like I was going to have to beg him.  "I promise.  No funny business."

I heard him let out a little chuckle.  "Ok," he paused for a moment.  "I'm actually free now....."

"Oh, umm....I.....uh.....wasn't expecting that at all," I replied completely taken aback by his immediate offer.  It didn't give me any time to prepare, or think about what I was going to say.  I must have been lost in my thoughts.

"C'mon, Ace," he said, prodding in a soft voice.  I could hear his smile, and I remembered how his eyes used to crinkle.  I couldn't help but smile thinking about him.  Damn you, Logan Huntzberger, I thought.  He still knew how to play on my weakness.

But he called me Ace.  Maybe this won't be so awkward, I silently hoped.  I took a deep breath.

"Alright.  Where?" I replied, surprised by my sudden burst of confidence.

"J. Rene," he replied.  "I'll see you in about ten minutes."

I hung up and hurried to the bedroom, where I quickly changed into something a little nicer.  I had just enough time to run my fingers through my hair and touch up my makeup.  What am I doing? I wondered.  I rushed out to my car to drive to the coffee shop.

After I arrived, I took a quick look in the mirror, applied some lip gloss, grabbed my purse, and headed inside.  It was no surprise Logan had beat me here.  I remembered HPG was about a three-minute walk from here.  I saw him looking around, anticipating my arrival.  He looked a little nervous, and it made me a little less nervous about seeing him for the first time in over eighteen years.  I took a deep breath and walked towards him.