Chapter 23

On the eve of my meeting with Vivienne, I found myself on the road home.  I don't mean my home, I meant my childhood home in Stars Hollow.  I was incredibly nervous about her visit, and I still wasn't sure how I'd handle the situation.  Then, I realized that my mom had gone through something similar with April.

"Mom," I said as I walked through the front door.  "I come bearing gifts of tacos and coffee!"

"It's been a full hour since my last infusion," my mother called from the kitchen.

"Coffee or tacos?"

"Yes," she replied chuckling.

I made my way to the kitchen and set the bag and drink carrier on the table.  My mom dug right into the bag, and I set a coffee next to her.

"Is this from the place by your house?  They have the best tacos!"

"Yes, I knew you'd appreciate them," I remarked and started pulling food out of the bag, setting some more in front of my mother.

"You look happy," Lorelai noticed.  "What's going on?"

She always knew when things were going on with me when I was younger, and it wasn't any different now.

"I've been seeing someone..." I replied coyly.

"Logan?"

"How?" I wondered.  She's like a witch or a fortune teller, I thought.  Maybe the Doggy Swami helped her hone these powers.

"Never underestimate the powers of Lorelai Gilmore!" she chuckled.

"Things went in a completely different direction from the last time we talked," I revealed.  "I didn't realize how much I had missed him.  Obviously, he missed me, too."

"You are quite missable.  I've always said that about you," Lorelai said.

"When have you ever said that about me?"

"Every time you go away!" she replied.

"Can we get back to the topic of conversation?"

"What does Richard think?"

"You know, he seems ok with it," I answered confidently.

"And Logan's daughter?" she continued to prod.

"Vivienne," I started and paused.  "That's where I'm running into issues."

"She doesn't want you to be her new mommy?" Lorelai quipped.

"It's not that.  She's just holding onto this resentment."

"What kind of resentment?"

"The kind that comes from not knowing your brother for the last sixteen years," I said quietly.

"The same one you thought Logan would have?"

"And he did...at first," I revealed.

"He's suddenly cool with it?" she asked confused.

"We're both getting there," I replied.

"What do you have to find in all of this?" she wondered, almost pointedly.

"I'm learning the consequences of my actions and how to deal with the ramifications," I answered softly.

My mother didn't say a word to me for what felt like an eternity.  She did, however, get us some more coffee while she thought.

"How can I help with Vivienne?" she broke the silence.

"She's coming over tomorrow to help me with my book.  I don't know how to get through to her," I explained.  "How did you do it with April?"