◦ t h i r t e e n ◦

It's a good one, folks.

"Dad, a doctors appointment really isn't necessary

"Dad, a doctors appointment really isn't necessary...like, at all." I tell my father, enunciating each word to express my deep dislike and discomfort for doctors visits.

Waking up in the hospital is one thing. That situation was completely necessary and unavoidable. This is like choosing to be prodded and tortured. Needles? Not my thing, no thank you, never. Sticking them in when I'm unconscious? Whatever. Making me sit there fully aware while you stab a needle into my flesh? No.

"It's just a follow up, Lillian." My dad sighs as I search my closet as slowly as possible for an outfit to wear that will make my dad embarrassed to be out in public with me. "You'll be fine."

"Can you promise me no needles will be present?" I ask him with a raised brow, pulling out a white very mini skirt and purposefully allowing my dad to see it in my grasp, an underlying threat present in my eyes.

He presses his lips together as he glares at the shirt and gives me an exasperated sigh. "You know that's not up to me, Lily. That's not fair."

"Apparently life isn't fair if I have to go back to the hospital." I huff, pulling a baby pink crop top and throwing it onto the bed with the skirt.

"We're not going back to the hospital!" My dad tugs at his hair. "We're going to Doctor Edgewell in town - are...are you really going to wear that?" His index finger and thumb squeeze the bridge of his nose as he speaks with a frustrated tone.

I purse my lips, tilting my chin up defiantly. "I love you dad but...a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do."

There's a pause in the room before he lowers his hand and meets my gaze sternly. "This is for your own good, Lillian. Meet me in the car in twenty minutes. You can go naked for all I care, but you're coming with me." His last word ends just before he closes the door swiftly and descends the stairs.

"Ugh." I groan loudly, tensing my shoulders as I hang my head back and glare at the ceiling, a sense of rebellion stirring in my stomach. Grabbing the skirt and the crop top, I run to my closet in search of the high boots I can find; a pair of knee high boots with a thick heel.

I pull my clothes off quickly, throwing the outfit on stubbornly, not thinking twice before pulling on the heels and shuffling over to my vanity, grabbing a few gold necklaces to layer and a pair of simple earrings. Throwing on some makeup, I blink lightly to shoo away the dryness in my contact lenses and finish off my mascara.

"Lillian!" My dad's voice yells from downstairs. "Five minutes!"

"Okay!" I yell way louder than necessary, cringing at the attitude in my voice but still not yelling an apology.

I'm fully aware that my behavior is completely unnecessary but if you could just put yourself in my shoes and fully experience my fear and hatred for needles, you would probably hurl yourself out of my bedroom window to get away from this.