Chapter 23

" He made a pass at me and I took that as my perfect opportunity to get him. And I did, but what I didn't know was that it was my worst nightmare. After a while, I realized that I was doing you wrong and you were my best friend and you had never done anything bad to me" she paused and took a deep breath. "I told him I couldn't see him anymore,.. that's when all the violence started. He threatened me, beat me,abused me emotionality. He took every good thing out if me, my confidence...... " she said.
"why didn't you tell me?" I asked her. By this time we both were crying so hard.
"I wanted to,,so many times ,but I couldn't,.... didn't, want you to get involved . He was good to you and I didn't want you to see that side of him, and he threatened to make your life a living hell if I told you, and I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to you. I was dying to tell you what kind of a man he was but he threw so many threats my way I couldn't do it. You have no idea how happy I was when you found out in that garage on your wedding. I know it sounds evil but I couldn't have been more relieved. I would have killed myself if you had married him. " she finished.
"I'm sorry" I said and I got up and gave her the biggest hug ever. I hated her for what she did to me. She was wrong. She wouldn't have gotten in that situation if she hadn't cheated in the first place but right now I felt sorry for her. What she went through and went through it alone and to protect me.
"No one should ever go through that alone" I told her still holding on to her. We parted and I looked at her.
"I'm sorry Daya, I never intended to hurt you" she said.
"I know" I answered her.

A few hours later Elijah and I were walking back to his apartment because Elijah being Elijah had convinced me to go see his apartment. I couldn't refuse him.
"I'm proud of you" he said while he held my hand.
"It was hard" I replied
"I know,but you were so brave,you acted like a grown up. " he smiled
"I know,but I didn't have a choice,she was hurting and if I hadn't forgiven her ,she could have died. I can't live with the guilt. she was sorry and it was eating her up, I believe she already paid for her mistakes"
"yeah, i guess. We're here" he announced.
"Wow" I said.
"What?" he asked with a smile on his face.
"I knew you were rich because you're a doctor but wow!" and he laughed.
You might think I'm exaggerating but no. The reception was so WOW! It's the kind that you see in those expensive hotels in movies. I mean the place was beautiful,chandlers hanging from the roof were expensive.
"Hey Emma" he greeted the lady at the reception.
"Finally!" she responded.
Elijah was still holding my hand.
"Don't start old lady" Elijah said. The receptionist was not that old ,maybe in her 40s but you could tell they had a special kind of friendship and it was adorable.
"She's cute" she said and I looked up at Elijah and he just shrugged.
We walked into the elevator and went up to the top floor. so cliche right.
We enter his apartment and oh my it was...What's the word.??..Beautiful!. It was big and it had open windows from top to buttom and it was beautifully decorated with browns and beiges. There was a little hint of red and scarlet here and there and I just fell in love with it.
"Wow" I said again. And Elijah laughed.
"You know you should stop saying that, you kind like a broken record. "
" I really have nothing else to say I mean, look at this place." I said and I looked around. " I mean I always pictured your apartment with a lot of Greys and blacks if you know WHR u mean, like the ummm Fifty shades of grey kind of thing. " I looked at him.
He stood by the kitchen counter with hands in his pocket looking really um yummy. But he looked a little nervous.
" Do you like it?" those words came rushing out of his mouth.
" Do I like it?" I scoffed. " I don't like it, I love it" I screamed. " if it was my apartment I would not change a thing I mean it looks warm and inviting and soo homey. "
"Glad you like it" he said " so what do you want for dinner?"
" Can you do something light, I don't really feel like eating" I said truthfully.
" How does coffee and a piece of chocolate cake sound?" he asked.
"Oh Yes!"

We ate our dinner or desert while talking about everything and anything. I felt good when I was around Elijah. I didn't have to feel insecure or anything like that. We never had an awkward moment.

He picked out one of the die hard movies for us to watch. And I prepared popcorn, luckily we both don't like butter in ours.
" So," Elijah said when we were halfway through our movie. I was all snuggled up to him and I could feel his warmth radiating from his body to mine. His hand was wrapped around my shoulder. If anything we looked like. couple. ha ha ha. " so what?" I asked.
" You living alone "
" Get to the point Doctor "
" I mean,is it a good idea?"
" I just want to get away from the parents, live alone. I love my parents but they spoil me to death. I don't know if I'm ready to move on you know. They always make me feel safe and good but I don't know if I've moved on . I just want to see. " I sighed. " if I had a friend I could have a roommate but I don't so I'll just have to live alone. " I looked up at him. " don't worry I don't kill myself." I said. Elijah always worried. I always tell him he's going to die from worrying.
" Ain't I your friend?" he asked.
' Huh?" I asked a little confused.
"I mean, you said you could live with a roommate I you had a friend ,ain't I your friend?"
"oh" I said.
"oh?" he said laughing " so I'm not?"
" Of course you are but.. moving in with you?" I asked
" What's wrong with that?" he shrugged.
" Nothing really but... I guess I never really thought about it. " I said truthfully
" Well good, what time do you want me to pick you up?"
" um mm 12?"
" its settled, " and he kissed my head.

We continued to finish our movie, both of us has seen enough times to remember all the scenes anyway.
Elijah held me a little tighter and I began to feel hot. I mean is it hot in her? My stomach started flipping. What was wrong with me? Gosh! He was my friend. I looked up at him slowly and my eyes met his. Shit! what was happening to me? Suddenly his lips touched mine with such a force that I didn't expect from him. I mean Elijah was soft. I expected something out of a romance novel but this ,this kiss was opposite of soft. it was hard, it had so much force it took my breath away. My stomach started doing summersaults. When he pulled away, I couldn't look him in the eyes. u mean shit!! he was my friend, gosh!! I opened my eyes seconds later and Elijah quickly reverted his eyes from my face and I did the same. I think we just had our first awkward moment.

Hours later I was laying in my bed starring at the ceiling. Elijah couldn't get out of my mind. I mean the kiss was unexpected. He really wasn't to blame because I kissed him back. and I liked it. What was I going to do.
MATHEW! Gosh!!!!! I had Mathew.
Now I'm never going to sleep.

Sunday morning came way too soon. I think I only got 3 hours of sleep and to me that's nothing. I pulled myself groggily from the bed and dragged myself to the shower. If the shower was supposed to make me feel awake, it did the opposite. I kept yawning through breakfast. My mom offered to help pack up. It wasn't much it SAS only my clothes and stuff.

"Mom?"
" Yes baby" she stopped folding the clothes and looked at me. I sat on the bed and looked at her.
" I think I like Elijah. " I confessed
" That's great hunny" she smiled " what's wrong? " she came and sat besides me.
" I don't know what to do, I mean i thought I liked Mathew but Elijah...."
" baby, I'm not gonna tell you what to do or who to chose, but I know one thing, you love one of them and don't chose because its what right or because that's what people expect. Chose one from your heart because I don't think I can live another day if I see you heartbroken. Once was enough. " I wiped away my tears.
" thanks mom" I said and hugged her.
"um Elijah will be here in a few minutes so let me get these bags downstairs.

Don't forget to vote and comment!!
🌻