As it was, she sensed something was off. She supposed he could have been nearby, and what he said could have happened, but where was the gun? Her eyes narrowed, studying him. The man looked fairly normal, besides how absurdly handsome he was. He had dark black hair, pale skin, a straight nose, and sharp features. His build was lean, yet she would bet he had some muscular definition based on the way his clothes hugged his form.

"Are you done staring?" He asked.

Rose blushed at being caught studying him. Though she was embarrassed, that wouldn't deter her. He was...odd, like he didn't belong. It was in the way he was moving, in the way he was looking at her.

"Where did you come from? I didn't see you around before that mugger jumped out at me." She tilted her head in curiosity.

He pursed his lips slightly as his eyes bore into hers for a long moment. She was starting to think this stranger must be intense. "We'll talk about this later Rose. You're getting a phone call." He gestured to her purse.

She hadn't noticed until now, but her phone was ringing. She glanced down at her purse, then glanced back up to see him gone; where he was once standing was a dark, empty alley. She spun around, searching for him, but saw nobody. As she realized he knew her name, her curiosity grew. What did he mean, they'd talk about it later?

Her phone quit ringing and she heard a message notification. She dug it out of her purse and looked at the screen. Her younger sister, Jasmine, had sent her a message asking when she was coming over. She'd been on her way from work to her parents' apartment when all the craziness happened. She took one last look around before heading back towards her initial destination. She'd have to think over it later. For now, she had to face her family.

---------

"Happy birthday!" Everyone in the room yelled as she opened the door.

As she took off her coat, Rose tried to force a smile. She didn't want anyone knowing something was wrong. There was no use in adding to her family's burdens when nothing really happened.

She was thrown out of her thoughts as her two younger sisters tackled her in a hug. Hugging back, she realized with surprise that the youngest, Lily, had grown an inch at least. Hadn't it only been one month since she'd been home?

"You've grown! How'd that happen?"

Lily grinned at her, dimples prominent. "I know! I'm so glad. I'm almost as tall as you and Jaz. I thought I was gonna be the shortest forever."

Jasmine scoffed in her soft-spoken way. "Pretty soon you're going to regret being so tall. Rose and I are the same heights as most guys which makes getting dates harder."

Lily's face scrunched up in disgust, making Rose chuckle. At 11, she'd yet to have a crush on anyone.

"Girls, step aside! Let us hug her too!" A soft, feminine voice called. Rose recognized the voice as her mother's.

Lily and Jasmine stepped back allowing their mother and father to step forward and pull Rose into another tight bear hug.

"Rosie, it's been too long. How's my girl doing? How's the apartment been?" Her father asked in his deep timbre.

She smiled up at him. "It's only been a month since you saw me last Dad. I'm doing the same as I was before."

He gently pinched her cheek. "I know, but you're all grown up now. You have your own place, you're working for a living, you're on your own. I miss you sweetie."

"I miss you too Dad. But it's been good living on my own. You don't need to worry about me." She said.

"We're just glad you're home, aren't we Andy?" Her mother said, smiling.