Blue Eyes (Steve Rogers)

You wake up to the sun streaming into your eyes, temporary blinding you with its brightness.  Letting out a deep sigh, you close your eyes and snuggle back into the pillow, hoping to get a couple more minutes of sleep, but the creak of a door as it opens and the soft touch of a hand against your cheek seems to drain the tiredness from your body as you are greeted by two brilliant blue eyes and a charming smile.

"Good morning dear," you say, brushing the blond hair back from the face you have loved ever since you set your eyes upon it.

"Good morning!" He responded.  "Are you going to get up or are you going to stay in that bed all day?"

You let out a small snort at his teasing. "It's only nine, I can sleep in for at least another hour."

"No! It's Saturday, you have to make waffles!"

"I don't have to do anything except pay taxes and die," you grumble into your pillow.

"What?"

"Nothing." Letting out another heavy sigh, you drag yourself out of the comfortable bed.  "Alright, let's make you those waffles."

After quickly changing out of your pajamas, the two of you walk to the kitchen and discuss what plans you had for the day. There was a slight argument about if you would have Mexican or Italian for dinner, but that was resolved quickly.

Reaching the kitchen, you grab the ingredients needed for waffles and turn on the television so that you could watch reruns of The Office while cooking.  You have made waffles probably hundreds of times, so cooking them was no problem. Or, it should have been no problem.

Distracted by Michael Scott's antics, you reached for an egg, but missed, and instead manger to push it over the edge of the counter.  "Crap!" You flinch as you hear it make a crash landing, splattering its insides all over the floor.  Grabbing a paper towel, you clean most of it up, and try to grab another towel, but knock the remote off the center.  "Shit!"

Picking up the remote, you realize that the channel had changed from your Office episode to a news station.  "Oh not today. No news, too depressing."  You were about to change back, when a headline catches your eye.

Billionaire Tony Stark Was Spotted at Local Mall

To another, it would seem to be just another gossip headline, but as you read it again, memories begin to emerge, memories that you have tried so hard to repress.

Years ago...

Your friend Tony takes your hand, leading you to a tall, blond, extremely handsome man.  "Y/N, I would like you to meet Steve. He's on the team with us."

You barely manage to stammer out a greeting as you are met with gorgeous blue eyes.  He nods, giving you a small smile. "Please to meet you Miss Y/N."

Tony gives Steve a quick pat on the back. "Go get her tiger," he says, before walking off and leaving you two alone with bright red faces.

A couple years later...

You were days away from getting married to the love of your life, but instead of getting a manicure like a normal bride-to-be, there was something you had to do first.

Taking a deep breath, you sit in a chair beside a bed, upon which is lying Peggy Carter, your idol and Steve's first love.  Giving you a smile, she places her hand over yours, which are anxiously twisting the engagement ring on your finger.  "Don't worry dear," she says, looking at you like a mother would look at her child. "I read about the engagement in the paper.  I couldn't be happier for you and Steve."

You smile, feeling as though a huge weight was released from your shoulders.  "Thank you so much," you whisper, feeling tears fill your eyes.  "I'll take good care of him, I promise."

"I know you will."

Even more years passed...

Steve looked at you in disbelief as you said three words. "I am pregnant!"

Gasping and feeling as though you had just run a marathon, the familiar feeling of a panic attack racing through your body, you tried to grab the counter to balance yourself, but miss, falling to the floor.  The tears start coming, blinding your vision and closing your throat until it ached. 

Through your panic, you faintly hear footsteps running towards you, someone anxiously asking you of you're okay, feel a hand on your back.  Gazing up, you see the blue eyes that you've missed, but something about them isn't quite right.

"Mom?" You son asked, kneeling beside you on the floor. "Are you okay? What's happing?"

Ah, yes.  Because it's not Steve's eye that you were seeing, but your son's blue eyes, eyes that he got from his father.  For his eyes were the only ones left that reminded you of Steve. Fate had decided you were never to look into Steve Rogers' eyes again and tell him you love him.  You were never to kiss him again.  It was only you and your son left.

Steve Rogers was dead.