Chapter 27

<guys i'm going to start skipping a lot of time bc i have a ton of ideas okay>

"Tobias?" I address him a few days later, when the three of us are lounging around.

"Mhmm?" he stops swinging Maeve to look at me.

"Since we have nothing to do today, could we go to Abnegation? I mean, my mom wanted to see her, and-"

"Of course." he starts to leave, cradling Maeve, and I follow him. "But." he stops abruptly and I run into him. He laughs and bends down a little, his butt facing me.

"What?" I laugh at him.

"Jump on."

"Like a... piggyback?"

"Just like a piggyback."

"Umm, okay." I jump on his back, giggling, as he starts down the hallway. We laugh as a family, me on Tobias' back and Maeve giggling in his arms.

"Awww, you guys are cute." Uriah rounds the corner.

"Thanks." I say sarcastically.

"No really." Uriah pushes. "When's the second kid coming?"

We laugh, but Uriah just stares.

"I'm serious, lovers."

"Not anytime soon, probably." Tobias says quickly.

"I see. Well see ya."

We leave the Dauntless headquarters and get on the train. "Tobias... do you want another one?" I ask him.

"I don't know. Maybe."

I don't push him any farther, I just drop the subject. To be honest, I don't know if I want another, either.

I didn't know either. I love her, but I miss the way life used to be sometimes.

Eventually we arrived at Abnegation, and I hop off the train, cradling Maeve. We walk in silence for a little while.

"What if we see him?" Tobias looks at me, but continues walking.

I sigh. "What do I have to do to convince you? You've been better to Maeve and I then I ever would have dreamed of. Just relax."

He opens his mouth like he's about to say something, but he just closes it again, continuing to my house. I lace my fingers in his, and he sighs, relaxing. I follow him up the narrow walk, nervous. I don't know why, but I'm freaking out. Tobias knocks, and I brace myself, peeking around his shoulder.

My father answers.

"Tobias," he nods. His eyes flick toward Maeve, but he looks away. Then he looks at me, and his face softens for a split second before his firm expression returns. "Be-Beatrice." he stutters, and nods before returning back into the house.

Tobias is sensing my hurt, and he kisses my cheek. "I love you." he whispers. "It's okay."

I nod, and my mother comes to the door. "Beatrice," her voice soothes me for some reason. I give her a side hug, still holding Maeve. She politely nods at Tobias. "Come in."

We follow her in and sit down. I hand Maeve to mom, and she cradles her, a silent tear sliding down her face. "She's gorgeous," she says, I smile and Tobias squeezes my shoulders.

My mother holds her a little longer, and then hands her back to me. "Are you planning to stay a while? I'll fix some snacks." She goes to the kitchen, almost running into my father. They mutter a few words, and then he comes into the living room.

"Hello Beatrice." he sits down and Tobias stands.

"I'll give you two a minute." he swings Maeve onto his hip and joins my mother in the kitchen.

"I don't get it." I snap at him.

"Beatrice, I-"

"No." I start to cry. "There is no excuse for completely shutting me out. This is my new life. I'm not your Abnegation daughter anymore!" I yell at him.

He starts to raise his voice. "You're making a mistake!"

"How do you know?! You have no idea!" I choke on a sob. "What if I'm happy? Did that ever occur to you?" I say quietly.

He's quiet for a moment. "You know, I talked to Marcus the other day, and he informed me of a little incident that happened after you left Abnegation last time. Tobias seems a little... unstable."

He did not just say that. "Are you kidding?!" I scream at him. "He's better to me than you ever were!"

"Beatrice..."

I stand. "And by the way, I don't blame him for how he acted. Considering, you know, his father beat him." I spit at him. I push open the door to the kitchen, sobbing. I lock the door and lean on the counter, my head in my hands.

Immediately, two hands touch my back. One big and rough, callused from a lifetime of discipline. The other small and delicate, but still strong and sure.

Then I realize, it's okay. Sure, my dad betrayed me and turned away when I needed him. But there are two people who love me right here.

It is more important to be loved deeply, then loved widely.

<GUYS LONG ASS CHAPTER BC I FEEL BAD.

School is so frickin hard, man. I'm a freshman this year & i'm taking a bunch of ap classes and help.

anyway did you like that tfios;)

thanks you all for sticking with me even if i don't update a lot. it means so much<4

IDK HOW MUCH I WILL BE UPDATING SO SO SO SO SORRY ILYASM>