Chapter 11

A few months of my pregnancy pass, and it's miserable. I'm moody, and crave cake, like Tobias. He's been handling my nastiness really well, and I'm really lucky. He's really protective and tolerant.

Tobias and I go on a little field trip. We take the train to Abnegation to tell my family about the baby. We sit with our legs dangling over the edge, Tobias' arm around my waist. I'm 7 months along, and compared to my skinny body, my stomach is huge.

I turn to him and press my lips to his. "I'm lucky to have you." I whisper against his mouth. "You've been so helpful through all this."

"That's because I love you, Tris."

He kisses me, and we kiss, half out of the train car until we get to Abnegation.

Tobias goes up to my parents door first, to explain before they see me and freak out. I'm going to be just around the corner so I can see everything.

He knocks, and my father answers. You can tell he's surprised that there's a pretty intimidating Dauntless at his door.

"Hi Mr. Prior. I'm Fou-, er, um, I'm Tobias." He told them his name. His real name.

"Tobias? You're Marcus' son, aren't you?"

"Yeah." Tobias looks nervous around my parents.

"How's Beatrice?" My father asks, bitterly. I can't believe it. He still considers me a faction traitor.

"Beatrice?" my mother comes up behind him. Oh my god. My mom.

"She, um, goes by Tris now, actually. I actually came to talk to you about her."

"Is she okay?" my mother pushes in front of my dad in the doorway. At least one if my parents still cares.

"Yeah, actually, she's great. I would know."

"Wait, you were her instructor. Four, is it? Beatrice's instructor was Tobias Eaton?" she smiles. Smiles? Sometimes, I don't understand my mother.

"Four?" my dad pipes up from the back.

"Yeah. It's not important."

"So what about Beatrice?"

"Oh, um, we got married a little yes then a year ago."

"Oh?" my mother doesn't seem surprised. She knows and senses more than I give her credit for.

"She's only 20 years old!" My father says sharply.

"Age doesn't matter in Dauntless." surprisingly, Tobias doesn't snap.

"Is she here?" My mother asks.

"Yeah, but before she, um, comes over, you should know... we're expecting."

"A baby?" my father yells. "Oh my." he turns around and disappears into the house. A tear slips down my cheek. He doesn't support me, and it hurts.

"Don't worry about Andrew. He is being... selfish. He wants Beatrice to still be his little Abnegation daughter, and he can't except the fact that she has moved on and found a life for herself." my mother says, her mind somewhere far away. "Can I see her?"

"Um, yeah." Tobias looks at me, and I make my way over to my mom. When I get to the door, Tobias steps away and my mother folds me into her embrace. We're both crying when she pulls away.

"Beatrice." she whispers as she hugs me again.

"Mom," I breathe against her ear.

"Come in."

We talk about baby stuff, Tobias' and my lives, and how proud she is of me. I haven't seen my father, and it's disappointing. Later when Tobias goes to the bathroom, my mother leans over to me.

"Beatrice. I want you to know that I love Tobias, and you shouldn't care about your father's opinion. He is still disgusted that you switched factions, and he is a selfish man. I'm sorry sweetie. I love you, no matter what."

<><><>

"Tris, I love you. Just know that." Tobias breaks the silence as we start back toward the train. He looks at me and slides his arm around my waist.

I look at him, confused.

"I don't know. Meeting your parents just made me realize how much you mean to your mom. Just know that I'm going to take care of you." he stops me. "And I love you."

He hugs me, and I see him over Tobias' shoulder.

Marcus.

"Marcus," I whisper in his ear.

"What?" He breaks from my grasp and turns around.

"Tobias?" Marcus looks at him and starts toward us.

"We should get going." I grab Tobias' wrist, but he's frozen, staring the terror or his childhood in his face.

"Marcus." Tobias gives his father the death glare.

"You will call me father. I'm am your father." They're standing across from each other now, me off to the side still clutching Tobias' wrist.

"You are not my father anymore."

"Just because you are a traitor, does not mean I cease to be your father." Marcus' cold eyes fix on me. "Who's this?" His eyes scan me, and I glare at him.

"I'm Tris, Tobias' wife." I say flatly.

"Pregnant wife, I see." He turns his attention back to Tobias. "You do realize you are only 22, and Miss Prior here is only, oh, are you 20 now?"

"I am no longer Miss Prior. I am Mrs. Eaton, now, thank you."

"You're a little slut, is what you are, Beatrice." He turns to walk away, my face turning red, when Tobias grabs the back of his shirt. Marcus whirls around, and Tobias punches him in the face. He falls and Tobias presses his foot to Marcus' throat.

"You ever call her that again, I will kill you with my bare hands. I'll tell you right now, it isn't going to be pretty." Marcus tries to speak, but Tobias presses his shoe harder into his throat. "For the record, Marcus, age doesn't matter in Dauntless." He takes my hand, and we walk toward the train together, leaving Marcus on the cracked sidewalk.