"Two weeks ago."

"Four months ago."

Julian and I gave separate answers, to which I mentally face-palmed myself. I closed my eyes, picturing how the future of his family dinner is going down in a meteor crash.

"We known each other four months ago," Julian begins to lie cleverly, as I slowly reopen my eyes, "and we just begin to date two weeks ago."

"Oh, that's wonderful!" Mrs Dean cheers, while Mr Dean doesn't seem too convinced at our words. My hands begin to get fidgety under the table, resisting the urge to touch my necklace as I try to calm myself down. That necklace always calms me down. I felt another hand grab my own, and look down to see it connected to Julian. My heart thumps harshly against my ribcage, as Julian gives me a reassuring smile. It's okay, he mouths to me.

I nod, turning back to his family. Their eyes laid on me expectantly as I look down at my untouched food, feeling too nauseous to eat. I didn't want to appear rude, nor my thoughts that her cooking was bad, so with my free hand, I take the chopstick left by my side and begin to eat.

"Mmm," I declare, looking up as I slurp up the last piece of the noodle hanging from my lips. I spot Mrs Dean, "this is delicious, Mrs Dean."

"Thank you, Francena," she begins, "I didn't know what you would like, so I hoped pasta would do."

"Oh, she was fine with anything, mom, that girl can eat a whole cow—ow!" Jaycee rambles from Julian's side, to which I believe she received a jab in return. "Sorry, sorry."

"So," Mrs Dean returns back to me, "tell me about yourself, Francena. I would love to know about you and your family."

"Oh," I begin to finish my next pasta piece, slurping. "Well, umm, my sobo and sofu met in Japan and fell in love, had my dad. Then, they emigrated to America around their thirties. Unfortunately, my sofu died before I got the chance to meet him due to his terminal illness. My sobo and my dad raised me and my brother from baby to now."

"Oh, what about your mother?"

I clench my fist, "mom. She doesn't like to speak about that."

"Oh, I'm sorry darling! I didn't know!"

"No, it's okay." I wave her off dismissively, "I just don't want to speak about her if that's possible."

"That's fine, that's fine,"

The conversation goes silent after that bit, and as Mrs Dean comes to her end and eat, Mr Dean turns to me. "So, Francena," he begins to stir up another conversation, "what are your intentions with my son?"

"Dad!" Julian exclaims, and suddenly I felt like the boyfriend. I stiff in a laughter, feeling the hilarity of the fact that Julian's father is questioning me about the my intentions with his son.

"What? I told you, whatever I would do to Jaycee, I would do with you. Keep fair."

I chuckle, shaking my head as I begin my answer. "It's fine, Julian," I declare, turning to him to give me a reassuring smile before turning back to his father. "Well, sir, my intentions aren't that big. I just want to watch Marvel movies with him, show him my music taste, hang out like friends and be comfortable with one another. I don't really think of much, I just kinda like the fact that we're not doing much right now."

Mr Dean's lips perked up, "you're just saying that because you want me to like you."

"I mean, I could. But I'm not. I honestly rather be hanging out with my brother than Julian—"