24| The Broken Wings

Start from the beginning

Okay.

Lead the way, sire. I will overtake you in this expedition soon enough.

"So, Augustus Bancroft. What do we know about him?" He stared at the group, in all seriousness. "He's is an industrial tycoon. His business in investment services has a market value of over seventy billion dollars. Other than that, he also owns a couple of newspaper companies."

Ace whispered slowly to Damien, "Holy shit." But due to the quietness in the room, we all heard it.

Scoff.

Ray continued, "He's a dangerous man. His crimes? Numerous. Killing innocents to cover his traces, scamming investors off millions. He's also been paying off witnesses to his dirty work. I got my hands on the bank transactions. I have all the proof we need. Here's what we're going to do to expose him."

After sympathetically looking at Breanna and earning her approving nod, he proceeded to set up a whiteboard and drew a messy sketch of some assembly hall.

For the next whole hour, after bragging about how meticulously he extracted the proof, he explained the basis of the plan. And by the way, it sounded ridiculous. Not that I expected it to be good anyway.

"That sounds impossible," Dylan said, his eyes widened by everything going on.

Ace chimed in, "It's not. We've been through worse."

Yeah, like that time you guys ambushed Scar's lair to rescue me. That's the only thing I like you for.

Ray nodded. "If we execute this perfectly we might even get out of this unnoticed. Augustus however, won't, because there are hundreds of people in that room who are way more powerful than him. They won't let him escape."

"Sounds perfect to me!" Ace seemed to be the only enthusiastic person in the room.

Everyone's faces were down, into deep thought about our upcoming fates.

Damien attempted to soothe us. "And even if we do get caught, it's not a problem because we did nothing wrong. In fact, we should be rewarded."

"There's just one problem," Ray interrupted, putting all our hopes down again, "The seats to the conference are all reserved and I don't know how we'll get in."

Oh wow. Bravo, Raymond! You don't even know how we'll make it inside the conference and you already made an entire plan about what to do next?! That's some very poor planning, right there!

So of course, I had to provide my expert support in order for this to work. I asked, "So this conference is going to be attended by hundreds of industry experts and business officials?"

"Yep. Even some Google employees are going to be there. So this thing is big."

I placed my finger on my lips, thinking deep and hard. "And you're sure my Father won't be there?"

"I'm sure." Ray looked at me earnestly, hoping I could help him out. "I checked the seats."

"I know a way." Confidently, I fisted my hand, placing it on my thigh. Everybody's stare was fixated on me. "Phil, give me my phone."

Phil leaned in. "The personal, Sir?"

"No, the work one." I took the "work" phone from him and unlocked it, not answering their fretful gazes.

"What're you doing?" Raymond asked.

I smirked, without looking up. "Nice of you to ask. Have some faith, Ray."