24| The Broken Wings

Start from the beginning

But unfortunately, I had this whole conference with that unearthly duo — Ray and Ace, on how to take down a billionaire mastermind.

So my death would have to wait.

The game room door swung open because I kicked it open. And I kicked it close after I got in too, a little louder so Avery could hear it and feel bad about herself.

Inside the game room, Ray and Ace were in the middle of a game of pool. Breanna was watching them.

They stopped when they saw me though.

We exchanged an awkward silence, masked by the rolling of a billiard ball across the pool table. All of them probably wanted to ask me something but remained quiet. Thank God. Except, I would answer if Bree asked it.

"Apologies," I sighed, "Let's begin."

Ace's spidey senses triggered and I knew what he was going to ask before he even opened his mouth. "Where's Damien?"

"He won't be joining us anymore."

He gasped and others widened their eyes in dismay.

"Why not?!" He whined, "That's not good! I'll go talk to him."

Ace left the game room and I didn't stop him. He could try all he wanted but I didn't suppose Damien would ever want to interact with me ever again.

The silence was haunting the air again, this time between Ray and Breanna and me. It was as if one could touch the noiseless hostility in the room, so hushed and yet so revolting.

I wasn't sure what it was that I hated about Ray so much. I got the girl in the end, or at least I was in the process of it. We both knew I would. He had no chance in front of me and how much I contributed to her happiness.

I had nothing against him and yet, every time he walked in, a cold jolt of fury ran through my body.

Time was slow to pass, as it usually did when we hate something.

Ace barged into the door, followed by Damien Price and then Dylan Summer.

Ace was smiling widely, having achieved something I didn't think he would. "Dylan will be joining us too!"

A sudden draft of anxiety washed over me, resulting in an outburst. "No way!"

"Shut the fuck up, Carlton," Dylan sneered at me with vehement anger, "You don't tell me what to do!"

I was taken aback. No way. No darned way Dylan was joining us! He was too naive, too simple-minded.

Raymond stepped between us, placing a hand on my shoulder, "Calm down, Carl. There's a good chance they already know who we are. They, however, don't know Dylan at all. We might need him."

I couldn't let him be a part of this! Forget being a trivial part!

"But-" I was cut off by Raymond's strong gaze, asking me to dissolve the situation. He nodded at me, indicating I should trust him, and I did.

We parted ways, taking far ends of the room. I held my intense stare on Damien, Dylan, and Ace, suddenly looking like they had been friends forever.

A warm sensation caressed the skin of my palm. I looked behind and Breanna smiled softly at me, slightly touching my hands as if to soothe me. Immediately, the feeling of emptiness vanished.

If she was here for me, that's all I needed anyway.

"Let us begin," Ray announced finally as he strolled around the pool table, "And when I begin, I don't wanna be interrupted until I say so."