(1) Coronation

Screams. Blood curdling screams rang out throughout the castle. I whipped my head around trying to determine exactly where they were coming from.

They seemed to be getting closer and louder. I turned on my heels and ran down the dark corridors of the castle, trying to get as far away as possible. I panted and stopped for a moment, leaning against the cold beige walls of the hallway.

My heart pounded against my chest as I tried to calm my breathing. The moon seeped in through the castle window, shedding little light around me.

The screams had seized. I all of a sudden felt as if I was being watched. I turned my head back down the hallway and squinted my eyes in the dim light and at first, there was nothing. I looked closer before falling back onto my hands, as a man dressed in all black stood there. My blue eyes widened in shock when I finally realised who the man was.

It was Kylo Ren. The former Ben Solo who had been seduced to the dark side of the force. I had heard the many stories from my father.

I gasped and quickly stood up. The dark figure began walking swiftly down the hall towards me. I turned and tried to run again, but my body froze. What was happening. "You should have expected me to show up some day Talia" his metallic voice echoed off the walls of the corridor we were standing in. Wait. How does he know my name.

I sat up quickly in bed, panting. I looked around my room quickly to make sure there was no one standing in there with me. Empty. My room was empty.

I rubbed my eyes and looked again just to make sure. Still no one.

"It was just a dream Talia...just a very bad dream" I spoke to myself, trying to reassure myself that it was nothing. However as I sat in my king sized bed, I couldn't help but feel something deep inside me that told me it was more than just a bad dream.

I rolled over onto my side and settled back into my soft sheets, slowly drifting off to sleep.
—————

I took in a deep breath before letting out a soft sigh. There I was, standing in front of a mirror, in my coronation gown. I ran my fingers through the silky fabric, feeling every detail.

I had begged my father to put off the coronation date, mostly because I was not ready to become Queen of Kaorus. However with my father becoming ill, and my mother having passed away two years prior, it was more important now, more than ever, for me to become queen. I took in another deep breath, wanting to just hide and forget everything.

"What is on your mind today your grace?" I turned my head in the direction of my advisor, Ayla. She stood, staring at me. Her blue skin shining in the sunlight.

Ayla was part of the Twi'lek species. A handful of them had settled on Kaorus, escaping from the Empire, decades ago. My father and mother had happily welcomed them and they soon fit right in.

"What have we talked about Ayla? Did we not agree that you can just call me Talia?" I could see the corners of Ayla's mouth turn up into a grin as she folded her arms. "But it sounds so formal calling you your grace." I laughed softly and for a moment I forgot all about the coronation.

Ayla smiled softly at me, seeing the worry in my eyes, and opened her arms to me. I stepped into her arms as she hugged me tightly. She had always been there for me and was much more than just my advisor. She was like family to me. I trusted her with my life.

"Everything will be alright Talia" she spoke as she hugged me tighter and I sighed softly. "You know that this is very important for your kingdom. Your father is ill and we need a strong Queen to keep our kingdom safe." She gave me one more squeeze before pulling away.

I looked down towards my feet and felt my mouth open and close a few times. I wanted to tell Ayla about my nightmare, but did not know the words to use to describe it. So instead I decided not to go into detail.

"Ayla...I have had a terrible feeling, all day. I feel something bad is going to happen and I do not know how to stop it" I spoke soft, not wanting anyone else to hear my worries. Ayla stepped behind me and began braiding my hair in a loose french braid.

"Oh Talia, I'm sure it is just the stress and nerves of your big day" Ayla reassured me. I nodded and I once again looked down at my feet. Maybe she was right. Maybe I was just overthinking things. "Thank you Ayla. You're right...Everything will be fine."

———- ———-

There I stood. Beside the silver throne, which soon was to be mine. My father walked towards me, looking incredibly proud that I was actually going through with the coronation. I had tried my best to not fight him on it. He was getting sicker as the days past and I knew that time was running out for our King.

I smiled warmly at him as I bowed my head. A young blonde boy stood beside my father, the crown laid out on a purple cushion.

I smiled to myself as I stared at the golden grown. Everything was going as it should. I felt my worries slowly begin to fade to the back of my mind.

I tilted my brown, braided head to my father, so he could put the crown on. The crowds of people in the throne room was seeming less overwhelming to me. I began wondering why I was ever worried in the first place.

Then I remembered why I was worried, as blood curdling screams rang out from outside the throne room. I whipped my head up and stared towards the entrance. I could hear that sounds of what was clearly blasters being fired. People began running for cover behind pillars and under their seats. I quickly looked to my father who was now surrounded by guards.

Suddenly the doors to throne room were pushed open and stormtroopers ran in, pointing their guns at everyone. "Everyone get down on the floor now!" they yelled through their helmets.

I stared in horror as a young boy, maybe seven had a blaster pointed at him. Tears streamed down the boys face as he stood helplessly, obviously separated from his mother.

Without even thinking I ran down the steps from my throne and jumped in front of the boy, shielding him with my body. "Leave this boy alone!" I shouted at the stormtrooper. I held the boy tighter as I could hear the scared cries of my people.

The stormtrooper lifted his blaster, about to strike me before a metallic voice echoed through the hall. "D3N-48L, get back in line!"

I looked past the stormtrooper and watched in horror as my nightmare came to life.

There he stood. Kylo Ren.

——————
Thanks for reading the first chapter. Let me know what you think :) vote and comment!