Chapter F O U R T Y - N I N E

- Caden's POV -

It wasn't easy finding a balance between your best friend and the guy who bought your loyalty.

Ollie finally sat down drinking Palmer's alcohol which was normally straight, no chaser. I didn't think my lazy hands would stop him. It wasn't meant to stop him. My reaction was meant to please my longtime mentor and predecessor without pissing Ollie off.

I was pleased with myself. I was convincing enough for him to sit back down.

Palmer was on a roll. "Like you're hanging on Leon in front of Ollie?" She was basically a new generation activist. She was always protesting some injustice or consistently unamused if the conversation wasn't surrounding art.

We didn't get to have a say in the least. Hayley was apart of us and eventually, we all got used to the idea of her.

Leon stepped in defending Elizabeth - FROM US. Us. Her friends. I wasn't sober enough for this kind of betrayal. Loyalty was everything to me. EVERYTHING.

I couldn't stay silent anyone as Palmer, Elizabeth, and Leon argued back and forth.

Looking only at Elizabeth when I asked her, "Why are you doing this? We've been friends for years. I protected you for years." I let myself pause for effect before I continued, "I even hated Layla for you. I defended your idiosyncrasies when you tried to get her drunk but this too far Liz. What are you trying to prove? He's not upset your fucking him. He just hates Leon, period."

I saw her eyes glaze over with certain moisture meant for only the defeated. Leon stayed planted as she ran off. I waited for the backlash I knew was headed my way. I congratulated myself silently and sarcastically, "Good job Caden."

"You're standing up for this junkie? All he ever did was cheat on Liz and get fuck up. I don't even know how you let him stay in our Frat house."

I saw Ollie stand up in the corner of my eye as my once mentor cross the line of boundaries getting right in my face as he spoke. I held my hand out stopping whatever train of thought a more reckless version of Ollie had. Alcohol always had a snap reaction quality for him.

"I respect you as my mentor but get the fuck out of my face. You can have Liz, she showed her true colors. What you can't do is talk about my best friend's mistakes. Unless you're okay with me airing some of yours."

He stormed off but I knew there had to be more repercussions. There was nothing else I could do until he made his next move.

I didn't celebrate or react when my friends cheered me on. I announced, "I need a fucking drink," and walked away.

This party was already more drama than I wanted to deal with. Just went I thought the drama was over I saw my pledges huddled around and I got curious as to what had their undivided attention. I said louder than my normal tone, "Pledges!" I liked the power of knowing one word was all it took to get all 5 of them standing up straight and at attention.

"What are you doing? What's the huddle for?"

The one sloppy kid tried to stuff whatever it was in his pocket quickly but it fell to the floor. A small clear baggy with a small red line outlining how it locked together. I snatched it up before he could and my heart sank deeper than my chest cavity.

There was a small sticker on the outside edge, a gem in the color jade. I immediately scanned the room trying to find her obnoxious hair but couldn't.

"Who gave this to you?! Where did you get this?!"

They all looked at me petrified and I didn't blame them. I could smell the alcohol on my own breath never mind their frat president wanted to know where they got the got the contraband that could have them tossed.