Chapter 1 : Contempt

Snow white as silk, falling down as if in slow motion. Melting into droplets once it lands on your skin, causing chills to cascade down your spine. A soft haze blocking your field of sight of the forest that surrounds you. That was the environment I was in when I found my worst nightmare.

A blaring noise clogs my ears and jolts my body awake. I turn to see the alarm clock that disturbed my slumber and smack it off its rightful place on my nightstand. I groan as it continues to jump around on the carpet from the vibrations that shook it recklessly. I swing my feet over the side of my bed as the cool morning air attacks my warm-comfortable legs. I shiver as I bend down to pick up the obnoxious clock that annoys me every morning. I was surprised I hadn't broken the damn thing yet.

I rub the sleep from my eyes and felt the slight memory of my nightmare slip from my mind and succumb to the past. Tiredness makes my muscles sore as I stand up onto my feet. Wobbling over to my dresser to pick out my usual style for school. A pair of ripped white jeans and a long-sleeve checkered shirt that fades from blue to white to blend with my pants. I slip on my grey sweatshirt to keep me warm from the cold that billowed outside.

I look around my room to check if I was forgetting something before picking my backpack and stepping outside my doorway. Clambering down the steps to the kitchen as the smell of pancakes fills my nose and I could practically taste them on my tongue. I let out a hungry groan, putting my backpack on the couch. I walk over to see my mom flipping plumply-golden pancakes on the skillet. She looks over her shoulder and smile at the sight of me, giving me a peck on the cheek when I near closer to her.

"Breakfast is just about ready, how about you pour yourself a glass of milk before you catch the bus." She insists and I do as I was told. I stride over to the fridge, opening it and grab the jug and bring it to the counter. I find a cup already placed on the counter for me and pour the white nutritious fluid into the glass.

Behind me, my mom places two pancakes on a plate and sprinkles powdered sugar on top. We both walk to the table together and I sit down sipping my milk while she puts the plate in front of me and kisses the top of my head.

"Let me know when you're ready to leave and I'll walk you to the bus stop." She offers and I look up at her as I stuffed my face with pancakes and shake my head. I swallow my bite and look at her, "It's ok mom I can walk on my own today." I reply before stuffing my face again.

"Alright if you say so, holler if you need anything." She adds and walks back to her bedroom while I inhale my breakfast.

I wasn't one to saver my food; if I was starving I would practically swallow the pancakes whole if I could. I ate as quickly as I could so I had time to beat my friend to the bus stop. We always had a race every school day to beat each other to the stop or the loser would pay for snacks at the snack bar that we visit every day. Sometimes I would win, but I loved sleeping in so I lost mostly. But not today.

I put the dishes in the sink rapidly and bolt for the door as I sling my backpack over my shoulder. The cold wind blasts my face and turns my cheeks instantly rosy and plump.

I catch sight of the corner that acted as our finish line and didn't see him anywhere so I slowed my fast paced walking. I keep an eye out to see if he would pop out anywhere. I make it to the corner and pull out my phone to send a victory text to my friend Ryan when I hear a ding shortly after. I furrow my brows and look up to see a demented clown face before me and I scream at the top of my lungs.

Memory of my nightmare comes back to me and with a reflex, punch the clown square in the nose. I hear a whine and a groan come from behind the mask and it resembled Ryan's annoying voice.

"Ow, Jade that hurt." I hear Ryan say as he clutched his nose after pulling the mask off.

"You scared the crap out of me idiot of course I was gonna react." I replied annoyed with him and his pranks.

"It was worth it tho." He chuckles and I punch him again but this time in the stomach.

"Oof." He lets out once my fist connected with his nonexistent stomach.

"That's what you get for laughing at me." I sneered before fixing my backpack on my shoulder. Ryan wasn't a big kid, he just had long legs and a really skinny body that was attached to them. Arms were like noodles but he was a very smart guy. A big gamer like me as well. But I never liked clowns, and he rightfully knew so.

"You're paying for snacks today." I boasted and smirked as he rolled his eyes.

"Yeah yeah I know." He said and hobbled onto the bus once it stopped at the corner.

I stepped onto the bus behind him and sat across from him on the bus. I swiveled my head toward he window, popping my earbuds into my ears and pressed play on my phone. "Little Talks" from 'Of Monsters and Men' plays through them as I watch the scenery go buy.

A short glimpse of bright colors flashes before my eyes and I focus my attention on the object to see a black mural with blood cascading down the side of it fade from view.