Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty

I spread out the blanket on the floor of Luke's bedroom and handed him his juice box. It was just like that night on my balcony when Luke kissed me for the first time.

I sat down and watched carefully as Luke sat down next to me. Even though it was only about a week since we'd spoken, I missed him so much. I missed being close to him.

I took a deep breath and began to speak.

"Okay, so remember how I-"

I was interrupted by Luke's lips crashing onto mine. He placed his hand on the back of my head as he pulled me closer to him and moved his lips against mine.

After just a few seconds, he pulled away and bit his bottom lip.

"Sorry, I've just been dying to do that." His grin made me smile as I rolled my eyes.

The butterflies in my stomach were flying around like crazy, but I had to compose myself and continue what I was saying.

"As I was saying," I began, still smiling. "Remember how I said I didn't want any more secrets between us? Well, I wanna tell you all the things I've never really told anyone. I'm done keeping things from you."

Luke smirked and raised an eyebrow at me. "Does this mean I have to tell you all my secrets, too?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I mean, you don't have to." I paused. "But yes."

He chuckled as he leaned back on his elbows and looked at me.

"You first, kiddo."

"Okay. I used to have the biggest crush on my mailman back home. He was like, forty, but he was absolutely gorgeous." I tried to keep a straight face as I realized how ridiculous my infatuation with my mailman was.

Luke's eyes widened as he began to laugh. "That's gross!"

"Not even a little sorry." I copied Luke and leaned back on my elbows next to him. "Your turn."

He squinted as he thought about which secret he was going to share. "Oh, I have a good one. When I was like, thirteen, I heard weird noises coming from my brother's room. I opened the door just a crack to see what was going on. Him and his girlfriend were fucking."

I gasped and looked at Luke in disbelief. "You poor thing! That's so traumatizing," I gave him a sympathetic look, but he was laughing.

"He still has no idea that I saw that. I'll probably say it in my toast at his wedding, whenever he gets married," Luke joked as he shrugged his shoulders.

I took a sip from my juice box and shook my head. "I don't think I can top that."

Luke wrapped his arm around my back as the two of us leaned back against the foot of his bed. That made sitting on the floor just a bit more comfortable.

"I need another secret from you, pretty girl."

I got a tingly feeling every time he called me that. I don't know if we're a couple again or what our relationship status is right now, but I do know one thing. I never want this feeling that he gives me to go away.

"Hmm," I thought. "When I was little, I collected scratch-and-sniff stickers."

Luke shook his head in disapproval. "That's a lame secret. It doesn't count."

I laughed as I tried to think of a juicier secret.

"Once, in high school, Katie and I skipped school for the day so we could look at all the Christmas presents we were gonna get that year."

Luke exaggerated a gasp and sat up to face me. "Young lady, that'll put you right on the naughty list. I can't believe this."

I gave his shoulder a shove and sat up as well. "Not if you don't get caught, which we didn't. You would not believe some of the stupid shit Katie and I used to get away with. It was almost always her ideas though," I said in defense.

"Oh my God, you're so corrupted. Sitting on the floor drinking juice boxes? Let's hope the police don't show up," Luke smirked as he gave my side a little squeeze.

"Shut up," I giggled.

"I just thought of a good one! See this scar?" He pointed to a white marking on his knee. It looked to be about the size of a crayon.

"Yeah?" I gently traced the scar with my finger.

"I told all my friends that my knee got all cut up while I was helping my dad build something." Luke rubbed the back of his neck and chuckled, looking like he was contemplating whether or not to continue.

"What really happened?" I fixed a piece of his hair as I encouraged him to go on.

"I fell off a scooter."

I did my very best to keep a straight face, but laughter came out of me uncontrollably. "Oh my God, I'm so sorry, baby! I'm sorry for laughing.. but you're such a dork! Wow, that is absolutely amazing." I covered my mouth as I continued to laugh.

"I know! Why do you think I lied to my friends?!" Luke laughed as he looked at his scar.

"You're so cute though," I added as I placed my hand on Luke's and intertwined our fingers.

"Hopefully cute enough for you to forget about how lame I am. That way we can fuck again."

"Luke!" I lightly slapped his arm and buried my head in his neck, hopefully hiding how red my cheeks were.

"Come on, we were both thinking it."

We continued to share secrets and stories for hours, laughing constantly. I don't even know how much time passed because we were so busy getting lost in each other's words. That's the best thing about Luke; I could talk to him forever and never run out of things to say.

"When I was thirteen, my brothers used to take me to empty parking lots and let me drive around. My parents never found out, thank God. I guess another secret is that I kind of... miss my brothers? Ew, I can't believe I just said that."

I even surprised myself with that one.

"That stays a secret though," I quickly added. I smiled as I thought about my family and home. It's funny, the more time I spent with Luke, the less homesick I was.

Luke's eyes stay focused on me as I hugged my legs, bringing my knees to my chest. I rested my chin on my knees and stared back at Luke.

"Your turn," I grinned.

Luke smiled back at me, then took a deep breath.

"This is my very last secret, but it's a big one." He spoke with the tiniest hint of humor, yet the seriousness in his tone was apparent.

I looked at Luke in anticipation, desperate to hear his last secret.

"The only thing left for me to tell you.." He took another deep breath, looking nervous all of a sudden.

"The only thing left for me to tell you is that I'm so ridiculously in love with you. I'm in love with literally everything about you. I know we haven't known each other very long, and maybe it's too soon to tell you, but I really couldn't keep that secret any longer."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AUTHOR'S NOTE: thanks for reading! please don't forget to comment and vote for this chapter.. thank you :)

p.s. your comments help me see what kinda stuff you guys like to see in the chapters!! so feel free to go back to previous chapters and comment on those too!! I read them all :) LOVE YOU ALL