Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

Waking up in Luke's bed was a feeling I'd never felt before. I wasn't used to waking up next to anyone, aside from the occasional nights when Katie and I have fallen asleep in the same bed.

When Cam and I dated, we were still in high school, so we couldn't really have nights together like I just had with Luke. Cam would trick me into sex. He'd say he was picking me up so we could go out to dinner, but he'd drive us to some empty parking lot and talk me into having sex with him in his car. I shuddered at the thought of all of those nights I went home and cried myself to sleep.

I quietly sat up in Luke's bed and looked at him sleeping soundly next to me.

Even though we haven't known each other for too long, I have this feeling in my heart that he would never treat me the way Cam treated me. I can't see myself getting hurt the way I got hurt in the past.

I have no idea if what Luke and I have is just a fling, or if we'll be in each other's lives for a while, but I know that right now, I'm happy.

I quietly moved off of Luke's bed and grabbed my phone that I left on his floor.

Two missed calls from Katie. Oops. I probably should have told her that I was spending the night over here. I also noticed a missed call from Cam.

The smile that I woke up with immediately disappeared as soon as I saw his name. I would give anything for him to just leave me alone.

I didn't have time to think about it for too long, because when I glanced at the time on my phone, I saw it was 9:00. Crap. We have class at 9:30.

I looked over at Luke who was still fast asleep. I walked over to him and gently kissed his forehead before grabbing my shirt and quickly putting it on. I quietly moved out of his room.

"BUSTED!" I heard Michael yell. He and Calum were sitting at the table eating breakfast.

"Shhh!" I whispered. "Luke's still sleeping and I don't want to wake him up. I gotta go to class though, so will you just tell him that when he wakes up?" I asked as I threw my hair up into a messy bun.

"Yes ma'am," Michael said as he bit into a piece of toast.

"Thanks guys," I said as I walked to their front door.

"Walk of shame!" I heard Calum say. I rolled my eyes and laughed at the thought that it was only just recently that I was scolding Katie during her walk of shame.

"Bye boys," I said as I shut the door behind me.

I walked into our condo to find all of the lights were off. Katie must still be sleeping.

"Let's go, Katie, we have class in a half hour!" I yelled as I walked over to her door. It was open just a crack so when I knocked on it, it flew open.

"Oh my God, Katie!" I yelled when I saw that Katie and Ashton were sound asleep in Katie's bed. Naked.

"KATIE," I yelled even louder than before. I saw her start to stir, and when she opened her eyes she immediately jumped out of bed.

"Shit, shit, shit! What time is it??" She scurried around her room, finding clothes to put on. "We're gonna be so late," she continued to say as she stepped into a pair of shorts.

"Um, HELLO? Why is he still here?" I asked as I pointed at Ashton.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, we made up," Katie said as she continued to get dressed.

I rolled my eyes. "Alright, I guess we can just discuss that later. I'm gonna go change my clothes really quickly. Wake him up and get him out of here. We have to hurry, or we're gonna be late," I said as I went into my room to change. This was way too much activity for this early in the morning.

We decided it was best to drive to class. We've walked just about everywhere since we've been here in California, but today proved to be an exception.

I had been driving for about five minutes, with Katie in the passenger seat, and neither of us had said anything yet. Finally, Katie broke the silence. "Do you think I'm pathetic?" She asked, and I could see out of the corner of my eye that she was fiddling with her fingers, clearly distraught.

I paused before responding. "No, Katie, I don't. I think you like Ashton a lot more than you're letting on, though. And I think you need to tell him how you feel. If you don't, he'll just keep pulling this shit. He'll get with other girls while he's also getting with you, and you'll end up hurting because he has no idea that you're really into him. Okay?" I said, slightly more aggressive than intended.

"You're right," Katie responded.

After staying quiet for a minute, Katie turned to look at me. "What's your deal this morning? You seem... a little on edge," she asked me as she adjusted the air conditioning.

My hands tensed up on the wheel, and Katie knew right away what was up. "Cam," she said knowingly. "Maybe you should call your parents and tell them that he's been calling you. They might be able to help," she said sincerely.

"I know, I know. But I don't want them to think I can't handle being away from them. I'm kind of taking a liking to being on our own out here. I like the freedom," I said shyly.

"Oh, I get it. Freedom is code for Luke's dick," Katie said nonchalantly.

"Katie!" I exclaimed, taken aback. How did she know we had sex?

Before I could even ask, Katie said, "Oh please, it was written all over your face when you woke me up this morning. Plus, I know sex hair when I see it," she said as I pulled into a parking spot.

I shook my head and laughed, and I could feel my cheeks going red. I was about to walk into a prestigious screen writing class with sex hair. Lovely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AUTHOR'S NOTE: thanks for reading! please don't forget to comment and vote for this chapter.. thank you :)