Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One

Luke sat at the kitchen table while I started to make the pancakes. "I haven't had pancakes in such a long time. We eat cereal every morning in the 5sos house. That's 'cause we suck at cooking."

I shook my head at him. "No, it's because you're all lazy."

All of a sudden, there was a loud pounding at the door. I whipped my head around, extremely startled.

I looked at Luke, and he got up to get the door. He opened it to find Peyton, who appeared extremely disheveled, and her make up was running down her face.

I ran over to her and gave her a big hug. "What's wrong?? What happened to you? Come, sit down."

I led her to a seat at the kitchen table, and Luke closed the front door. He looked slightly horrified at the sudden female drama.

"...Should I go?" Luke asked, clearly uncomfortable.

Peyton wiped her tears. "No, no. Stay. I'm sorry to just barge in like this. I just didn't have any where else to go." I grabbed a tissue and wiped the running makeup off of Peyton's face.

"I thought your parents were back? Isn't that what you told Katie?" I asked Peyton, feeling Luke sit down next to me.

"Well, it turns out they have to stay with my grandparents for another week, and I didn't tell you or Katie because I knew you'd tell me to just stay with you, but you're still recovering and I didn't want to be in the way. But, I definitely didn't want to be home alone, especially at night. So, Michael said I could sleep with him at his house for the week."

Luke and I nodded our heads, trying to keep up with everything that Peyton was saying. She was talking so fast, and tears were still running down her face. She sniffled, then continued talking.

"So last night I stayed with him, then this morning I told him I was going home for a bit to work on our screenwriting homework. I got home, and I realized I left my phone at his place, so I drove all the way back and just let myself in and then.." Peyton was practically sobbing at this point as she tried to catch her breath.

"And then I saw him fucking some girl on the couch. Right in front of my eyes, he was just fucking some girl. I could feel my heart breaking." Peyton buried her face in her hands, and I immediately threw my arms around her. She cried as I hugged her.

"Jesus, Michael," Luke muttered as he stared at the floor and shook his head.

Peyton lifted her head up to look at us. "That's not even the worst part." She ran her hand through her hair.

"What could be worse than that?" I asked, not really sure if I wanted to know.

Peyton took a deep breath, but she was still crying.

"Last night," she sniffled. "Last night was the first time Michael and I said 'I love you' to each other." She immediately broke down into sobs again.

Luke and I exchanged glances, both unable to believe that Michael did this.

I shook my head. "He cheated on you the morning after you two said you loved each other??! What the fuck is wrong with him? Are you serious? I'll kick his ass!"

Luke raised his eyebrow at me, as if to say 'yeah right'.

I shrugged. "Okay, I'll have Katie kick his ass." Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Luke smile at me.

"I don't know what to do. I feel so stupid," Peyton cried as she buried her head in her hands.

Luke awkwardly put his hand on her shoulder. "Hey, hey, don't cry. Honestly, this is so typical of Michael. The minute he starts to feel something for a girl, he turns into a total dick. It's only because he's like, afraid of love."

Luke looked really uncomfortable and awkward taking part in this girly conversation, but I thought it was adorable. And, he was actually being very helpful.

"Yeah, he's still an asshole though," Peyton grumbled as she wiped her tears.

"I'm just gonna go clean myself up, if that's okay?" I nodded my head sympathetically, and Peyton got up and walked to the bathroom.

I stood up, then sat down onto Luke's lap. After placing a delicate kiss on his cheek, I wrapped my arms around him and rested my head on his shoulder. "You're a good person, you know that?"

Luke ran his fingers up and down my thigh. "Nah, I'm just used to dealing with Michael's shit. He'll come around, though," he sighed.

I rolled my eyes at what Luke was saying. "Um, no. Peyton shouldn't have to wait for him to 'come around'. Michael can either get his shit together, or he can lose his relationship with a really great girl!"

Luke laughed at how worked up I was getting.

"Jeesh, calm down. I guess I could maybe.. talk to Michael? I don't know how much help I'd be.." Luke rubbed the back of his neck with his hand. I adjusted myself on his lap so I was straddling him.

"Yes. Do that." I gave Luke a quick peck on the lips.

"Do what?" Peyton made her way back into the kitchen from the bathroom.

"I'm gonna talk to Michael. I'll get him to stop thinking with his dick, and start thinking with his brain."

Peyton gave a weak smile. "Okay, thank you. I think I'm just gonna head back to my house now."

I quickly got up from Luke's lap, but still felt his hands on my hips as I stood in front of him. "Go back to your house and grab your stuff, then you're coming right back over here. You're staying with me and Katie until your parents come back," I said firmly to Peyton.

"Thank you," she said weakly and smiled. "I'll be back in about an hour."

Peyton grabbed her purse and keys and left, and Luke immediately pulled me back onto his lap. He tilted my chin up so he could place his lips on mine. He kissed me, and practically dug his tongue into my mouth. I couldn't help but giggle, then I pulled away.

"Sorry, I couldn't hold it in any longer. I didn't want to do that while Peyton was here." Luke was grinning like an idiot.

"Yeah, she's a bit fragile right now." I stared off into a daze, deep in thought about what Michael did. I can't even imagine how heartbroken I would be if I caught Luke cheating.

I was snapped back into reality by the loud grumbling of Luke's stomach. I laughed, then stood up to get back to making pancakes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AUTHOR'S NOTE: thanks for reading! please don't forget to comment and vote for this chapter.. thank you :)