" Anything else?" I asked her.

" No sir,"

" You can get out of my phone now."

" O..okay sir." She replied meekly.

I slammed the phone down on the island . Few seconds later, I heard a knock on my door.

" Hello sir, it's Wallace. Can I come in ?"

Grabbing the remote on my table, I pressed a button and my door automatically unlocked and slid open.

" Come in."

Wallace walked in holding Avery in his hands. Her brightly colored pink back pack hung on her bag as she left Wallace's arms and skipped round my table to where I was seated.

" The card reader is fixated on the wall right by the door, so why do you insist on asking if you can come in when I know that you're already there ? You knocked didn't you ?"

" I'm sorry sir. The last time I used the card reader without asking your permission to come in , you threatened to have me fired." His voice was pleading.

I paused, remembering that day. I was fucking mad after a meeting with some asshole investor and Wallace decided to disturb my peace. I did threaten to fire him that day.

" Hi daddy!" Avery said, gaining me attention.

" Hi princess." My gaze shifted to her as I raised her up from the ground . She giggled as I kissed her cheeks, her pig tails swerving around. "How are you doing today?"

" Fine." She shoved her doll in my face. " Molly says hi too."

" Uh...hi Molly." I said, still finding it hard to understand how Avery treated this doll like an actual human being. Well, at least she didn't have an imaginary friend.

" How was play group today ?"

" It was fine." Her small voice replied.

" That's good." I told her. " Okay, daddy has a lot of work to do today so you'll be sitting over there." I gestured at my love seat at a corner of my office. " Do you have your coloring book and crayons ?"

" Yes but Daddy wait. I met a superhero today."

" A superhero?" I glanced at Wallace who seemed uncomfortable and back at Avery, wanting to know more about what she was talking about.

" Yeah she saved Molly and me when a car..."

" I think she's talking about this cartoon she was watching at her play group today." Wallace cut in unexpectedly. He looked nervous as beads of sweat formed on his forehead. " Yeah, that and they invited some people dressed superheroes to entertain us at the diner I took Avery to eat at."

" Really?" I raised a suspicious brow up

" Yes." He replied.  You know what kids love these days, Superman, Wonder woman and the likes."

" Alright." I glanced at him , still suspicious. My eyes moved back to my daughter. "Avery, go seat over there." I pointed to the circular love seat a the far corner of my office . I turned back to Wallace. " You can leave."

" Right away sir ."

" But I didn't finish my story." Avery replied with a pouty face.

" Avery, I really can't listen to your story right now. Maybe later."

" But daddy..."

" Wallace take her to the love seat."

Wallace came around my table and carried her to the love seat . He also brought out her coloring book from her bag. Once she left my arms, I let out a silent sight of relief. She was a spitting image of her mother and I had been trying so hard not be affected by it. That's why I needed her far away.