Chapter 69: Nightmares

Start from the beginning

She noticed that all the color in Hinata's face drained away, confusing the the coach's assistant. Looking in the direction Hinata's eyes are on, she spotted Tsukishima, who was glaring at her at full power, sending shivers down her spine. He clicked his tongue in annoyance before turning his head to continue his warm ups.

"What's up with him?" Kageyama asked rudely, jacking his thumb at the blonde.

"He's...He's been giving me a cold shoulder because of something along the lines of 'recklessness' and 'messed up priorities'." She said, gesturing her two fingers like a quotation mark and laughing weakly in hopes properly convince the two otherwise.

The duo exchanged concerned looks. As much as they loathe Tsukishima, they have to agree. Health should be every person's first and foremost priority, especially for someone who mends the injuries of the club members.

"Try drinking milk before going to bed...! It always worked on Natsu!" Hinata suggested, pouting at her as she yawned.

"Hm...I should try that then." She mused, "speaking of drinks, I really need some coffee right now."

Just as when she pulled herself up from the bench, she was immediately pushed back down by the ginger. He thumped a fist on his chest theatrically, getting weird looks from Kageyama and Ayame.

"We can get it for you!" He said with a loud voice, getting Tanaka's and Noya's attention.

"Hinata's being a gentleman..." Tanaka said, wiping comical tears with the sleeve of his shirt.

"We taught him well, Ryu. We are his senpai, after all!" Noya added with a proud grin as he slapped the ginger in the back.

"We're just going to the vending machines..." Kageyama muttered, his nose wrinkling annoyance.

The girl had enough of their shenanigans, standing up abruptly that gained the attention of the four. "...Which is why I can do it by myself."

Oh how she regretted standing up in such a quick motion. The gym's walls started to blur, shaking back and forth along with the polished floors. Her mind spun, fried from observing and abusing from practice. She took uneven steps like a drunk man, slowly losing balance, step after step. After taking her eighth step, her brain decided to completely shut down. Her senses came to a stop, the last thing her ears picked up being the loud thud of her head against the hardwood floors of the gym.

"EEEP! AYAME!! DON'T DIE ON US!!" Yachi rushed over, slapping both hands on her cheeks in horror. The club members gathered around the limp body, some wearing a worried look, some just looked utterly horrified.

"Give her some space!" Coach Ukai demanded, shifting his attention to the freckled boy. "Yamaguchi, go get Tsukishima."

He nodded, clumsily scrambling to the gym doors and opening it just as the blonde was about to enter.

"TSU- TSUKKI...!!" Yamaguchi jumped. Panic written across his face.

"What?" He said in an annoyed tone "What are you -" His wrist was in Yamaguchi's grasp, yanking him forcefully as they headed over to the rest of the club members. The blonde raised his eyebrows slightly at his assertiveness, the fingers digging on his wrist hard enough to form bruises.

That's when his questions were all answered by the sight of the unconscious girl on the floor.

"Take her to the nurse's office, will ya?" Coach Ukai said.

For a split second, his eyes flashed of genuine concern before blinking once more.

A friendly reminder that this is Tsukishima Kei, the infamous aloof volleyball player. As expected, a person like him wouldn't comply in carrying his girlfriend bridal style, not when he's in such a foul mood due to her persistent personality and with other spectators around. Instead, he slumped her over his shoulder...How romantic.