He pursued more arduously, his mighty tail sweeping and uprooting. The stars fell from the realm into the black hole.

Suddenly a blinding light the intensity burning and dense the size of a thousand heat and spans of the sun busted, throwing me off with the collision of another of many meteors.

I reached out for support, but there was nothing to hold.

With one last scream from above and a depth-wrenching groan, the world boomed and I blacked out.

I was a ball thrown, flung into something new. The air was fresh, the smell of the night going to sleep.

There were greens and calls and answering cries of strange creatures.

I knew them distantly.

They used to be specks below.

So many things were falling from the skies.

The birds fluttered like the angry turbulence of a scattering wind, and the beasts of the earth escaped.

I tumbled upon the ground, unable to feel pain.

It was nothing compared to the sting of the sun.

I delved deep into the depths and heat of the ground, escaping back to the open clear span of land of green grass and deeply coloured wet rocks.

A great wolf stood rooted to a spot, its fathomless eyes wide with fear, paws stances apart. Its mighty jaws folded to reveal the stench of homely heat, growling.

I cleaved to it.

I yipped, running along, feeling the raw earth.

It was mine.

Home.

I howled into the empty woodlands, fleeing from the chaos I left behind.

Still, I bore great fear for the day, despite the dim hold the sun held here on this land called earth.

I would hunt and be master of the night and slowly maybe for centuries, maybe for nights of pondering or weeks, or months I knew not.

I wandered through the day.

I preferred the dark better. It was familiar and safe.

It hid me.

One day, as I wandered I came across a man tilling the ground. He was pure strength.

He was the true master, yet he reminded me too much of myself - limited.

I could feel his raw dominion.

His anger channelled into each throw, breaking through.

I watched him for days and hunted through the nights, thinking about him.

I wanted to be him.

I felt limited: I could not leave this body. I had cleaved too well into it that we had become one; neither here nor there. It wearied me.

I needed the man.

That day as I stood at the thicket of the woods, watching him come he dropped his tools, looking around. His eyes were lacklustre with hidden fire.

He could be more, he could do more, and he could have more.

I took one dainty step, bristling through the shrubs.

His eyes grew alert, squinting, shielding his eyes towards where I stood. I could feel his heart calling to me.

He edged to where his sickle lay and picked it up. I took one unsure step, revealing myself.