During Those Days

Start from the beginning

He gulps when he realizes he's getting sidetracked and continues past her.

"Donnie! Where do you think you're going? You have to rest!" She says sternly and follows him. "I-i c-cant'. (Y/n) needs me.I-I have to make sure she's okay." he weakly said and trudged on. April hurriedly sat the tray down and pulled his arm. "No Donnie! Y-you can't do that! You have to rest!" she orders and gently pulls him back. He stumbles onto the floor and continues forward on hands and knees.

"Y-you don't understand A-april. I have to see her." he faintly says and continues crawling. Guilt washed over April as she watched her friend practically drag himself across the floor.

"Donnie. I need to tell you something...about (Y/n)."

The turtle froze and turned around to look up at April. "What? What is it!? Did something happen?!" he questioned, and force himself to stand. April helped him up and led him to the couch. She sat beside him and exhaled.

"I was going to wait to tell you, but you should know."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"How long is he going to be in there?" Mikey asked as he rolled back and forth on his skateboard. Raph shrugged and looked to Leo. The blue clad turtle looked away sadly and sighed.

"Who knows..." he quietly responds.

Ever since April told Donnie about (Y/n)'s condition, he had locked himself inside his lab for days. The doors were locked and the only time he would come out is when Splinter would bring him food.
All day and night, there would be mechanical noises and other sounds going on inside the room. Only time it went silent, was when Donnie would sneak out to gather new metals and other things to build with.

Of course now, that wouldn't be the only reason he would sneak outside. The day April came back from school and told everyone the news about you being released, he was ecstatic. Later that night, he snuck out into the cold, and ran all the way to see her.

Sprinting over the rooftops and jumping over dark alleys, he finally made it back to (Y/n)'s apartment. All the lights were turned off, except from one window with a dim lamp. He gets closer, and sees her. Soundly asleep in the bed. The white hospital bracelet was still wrapped around her wrist as she hugged the pillow next to her.

"(Y/n). Y-you're still so beautiful."  Donnie whispers into the air. "I-im so sorry. I did this to you." He says, and releases all of his emotions at once. Rest of that night, Donnie silently cried beside your window, wishing things have had happened differently.

Once morning came, (Y/n) awakens with a sense of urgency. A weird feeling of longing and heartache filled her, a strong feeling of wishing to be held by someone. The empty fire escape allowed the light to shine through the window and awaken her more from her slumber.

"Ugh! I need a boyfriend." She whines and rolls out of bed. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Donnie sits inside his lab, contemplating what to do next, he over hears the others in the main room.

"Wait, what! We can't see her anymore?" Cries Mikey. Splinter was told of the news and made a final decision that night.

No turtle was allowed to make contact with (Y/n) under any circumstances. For her own protection.

"It was because of us, she was put in danger. I wish her no more harm my sons." Splinter said sternly. Everyone went silent as their father spoke.

"I agree." Said a voice from behind them.

Everyone turned and saw their brother standing there inside the door of the lab.

"It was because of me. I was the one who put her in danger. It's my fault." He says sadly. Splinter walks up to Donnie and puts a paw on his shoulder.

"My son. Do not think of the worst. For she knows deep inside, you will always be here for her."

Donnie looks down and sniffles, wondering what (Y/n) must be doing now.

"Thank you sensei." He says. Donnie turns to go back inside the lab and slowly closes the door behind him.

As the door finally closed shut, Raph chuckled in disbelief. "He took that better than I thought! Thought the guy would throw a tantrum like Mikey over here!", and motions over to the snotty Mikey. The youngest turtle was bawling over the rule and wiped his nose with his arm.

"I'm! Really! Going! To Miss! Her!!" He says and continues to cry.

"You're not the only one." Leo murmurs and looks over to the lab.

~~~

The day April was told of the rule, she vowed to make sure (Y/n) was safe on everyone's behalf, especially for Donnie. Everyday, she would come down to the lair and gives small reports to everyone about (Y/n)'s health, but there was always one turtle missing from the picture. Donnie still continued to not leave his room, even when Splinter tried to console him.

As the three brothers prepare for dinner, Mikey knocks on the lab door, like he's done every night for the past few months.

"Hey D! Uh, dinners here! Don't want it to get cold." He says and stands there. Raph walks past and scoffs.

"What's the use Mikey, he ain't gonna come out! You should just let him starve if he ain't gonna listen to us."

Mikey frowns and follows his brother to the kitchen and sits down. Leo was already settled and had his head resting on his hands.

"But I just feel bad for him, bro." Mikey says and grabs a slice of pizza. "It feels like I'm betraying him while I eat this deliciousness."  He slowly takes a bite of pizza and chews softly. "It just feels wrong."

As Ra-h rolls his eyes, he is startled by Leo, who slams his fist down on the table and gazed into his brother's eyes. "I got it."

"Got what?" Raph asks with a mouthful.

"I got a plan. A plan to get him out of that lab."

"What are you talking about Leo?"

"If he's not going to listen to US about leaving the lab, then we can just bring someone else who he will listen to." Leo smirked.

"Woah woah woah! Wait. You mean go against Sensei's wishes and bring her back? You gotta be kidding me! This is the most insane idea you've ever had! I like it!" Raph cheered.

"It's perfect. Even if Sensei finds out, we'll just tell the truth. Donnie's tech was one of the most valuable aspects to our missions. Without him, we just hit dead ends with the Kraang and Shredder. We're not a team without him. And he's not himself without her." Leo added. Raph nods and takes another bite of the pizza.

"Hey, Mikey. What you think of the plan." And turns to the now empty chair. "Mikey?"

Leo's phone dings and reveals a message from their little brother.

-Bro! Luv plan! Already in action! C U L8R W HER!!! <3 :) :) ;D :D ;p-

"Well, looks like he's on board and has already sailed." Leo says.

"Let's just hope the guy can convince her to come. Didn't she like, forget all about us?" Raph asked.

"What you mean?"

"Ya know," Raph says and motion to his body. "That we're GIANT MUTANT TURTLES!"

Leo's face gradually went to a poker face as he stared off into the distance, lost in his own thoughts and stupidity.

'How the hell could I forget that she wouldn't remember being friends with 4 mutant turtles?'