Part Twenty-Five

After following the ambulance to the hospital, Liv and I sat in the waiting room for several hours while Bella was being looked at. I peered into the room at Bella who was laying in the hospital bed, with bandages across her forehead and chin. Her father was sobbing beside her, hugging and kissing her, their words drowned out by the sound of machines.

I gazed out the window at the sky, which was very slowly transitioning from a deep purple to a sun-streaked blue. At this point, it was around 6:30 AM, and I was exhausted, nearly falling asleep while waiting.

"I'm worried about her," Liv told me quietly, as she stared into the room beside me.

"I am, too," I admitted.

"It was overkill, James," Liv whispered, "she stabbed him probably about thirty times."

"Well, it was self-defense too, I mean, look at her," I told her, "he really hurt her. I think she should be fine."

"I hope you're right."

"I still can't believe she did that," I shook my head in disbelief.

"It's kind of impressive," Liv said, a small smile on her lips. "She's a strong girl. I hope she'll be all right mentally."

Her father walked out of the room and stopped to look at Liv and me. His cheeks were soaked and his eyes were bloodshot - he appeared stressed, and rightfully so.

"I have to go to work," he told us. "I'm coming back right after. Can you keep her company for a little while? I'm worried about her being alone."

"Of course," Liv gave him a smile, and he thanked us before walking down the hallway.

We started towards the room, but I stopped when I heard commotion at the desk down the hallway. I craned my neck to find Cole standing in front of the desk, arguing with the woman who was standing at it. I started walking towards them, and Cole was running his hand through his hair in frustration.

"Please," he begged.

"I told you that only family can see her at this moment," I heard the woman telling him. "Unless you are a member of her immediate family, you can not see her."

"Well, I'm- I'm her brother, please," he pleaded, but she shook her head. "Please let me see her."

"I apologize, but you can not see her at this moment," the woman repeated again just as I reached the desk. "We have a very strict visitation policy especially for her case."

"It's okay, he's with me," I told the woman, and Cole stared at me, sighing in relief.

"And who are you?" the woman said, narrowing her eyes at me.

I pulled out my badge.

"Oh, all right then, she's in room two-twenty-two," the woman said with a smile before Cole followed me down the hallway.

"How did you know?" I asked him as we walked, and he kept his eyes trained on the floor.

"What?" he asked.

"How'd you know Bella would be at Rose's house?" I asked him.

He was silent for a few seconds, before he shrugged his shoulders. "I - I don't know, I just... I felt like that's where she would go if she ran away," he said as we reached Bella's room. "She has a weird fascination with it."

When he entered the room, I followed behind him, and I watched as Bella's eyes lit up at the sight of him.

"God, Bella," Cole said, walking over to her.

Bella sat up in her bed and tossed her arms around him, resting her head on his shoulder and crying into him. She sobbed loudly into his shirt, her fingers gripping onto him as she pulled him closer.