Part Twenty-Three

It had been four days since I returned home - four days since I was found severely dehydrated with a dislocated shoulder in an underground bunker. My arm still ached with every move I made, but thankfully, they were able to easily pop it back into place.

The bad part was, they had yet to find Steven.

The news consumed my every waking minute - not one second passed where the broadcast wasn't repeating itself on my television screen. There was a nationwide search for the guy, but not even a slight indication of where he was.

How was it so hard to find him? He was lurking around, I could almost feel his presence at some points. I'd be sitting on the couch and feel him watching me. I'd be making myself food in the kitchen and feel him staring through the window above the sink. But when I'd look, there would be nothing there.

I sat back in my couch with Liv beside me, my eyes glued to my television screen. Bella was no longer staying with her, so she decided she would stay with me for a little. She came straight from work, with her uniform on and everything, because I told her I had a sour feeling in the pit of my stomach. Something felt off, and it was torturing me.

"Is it really a good idea that you watch the news after what happened to you?" Liv asked suddenly, looking over at me. Her large eyes stared up into mine as she spoke. "You need to heal."

"I just want him found," I told her. "I don't care about my healing, I care about the kids' safety."

"We're doing the best we can, don't stress too much," Liv told me, before she stood up and turned the dial to sift through the channels.

My shoulders deflated. How was Steven so skilled with outsmarting us? It made me nauseous to think that he wasn't behind bars.

Liv flipped to a movie before sitting down beside me again.

"What the hell is wrong with you, James?" she asked suddenly, and I furrowed my eyebrows, turning to look at her.

"What?" I asked.

"How did you land yourself in an underground bunker? How did it happen, James?" she asked, her tone frustrated. "I thought you were dead. We all thought you were dead. Even Jared was worried, and I didn't know he was capable of emotion."

"Liv, I told you, I don't know what happened. I don't know what came over me," I explained, staring at my lap as the memory of the woman in the woods flashed through my mind. "I just- I didn't feel right."

"What do you mean?" she asked before scoffing in disbelief. "James, it was so dangerous what you did, do you even realize that?"

"I left that trailer feeling awful," I told her, my heart racing at the recollection. "I mean, I thought the guy in the tub was him, but something was telling me he was still out there. I just, I felt so useless. I still feel useless. When the woman came up to me, I- I just, I don't know," I admitted. "I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I thought I could actually help somebody for once."

"You are anything but useless, James. Goodness, I mean, do you have a death wish?" Liv asked, her eyes staring into mine. "You didn't call for backup or anything."

"I just wanted to help," my voice was beginning to shake. "I didn't... feel like anyone would care if... if something happened."

"How about your kid, James?" Liv asked, narrowing her eyes at me.

"My kid that doesn't even talk to me," I said. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, trying not to get too upset about the fact that he hadn't even given me a single phone call to see if I was all right.

Liv's gaze softened with sympathy. "It's only because your ex wife is a bitch," she said gently, reaching up to push a few strands of hair off my forehead. "He still loves you."