"What kind of badge?" I asked, spearing a piece of bamboo with my fork. I knew he didn't mean a Sentinel badge as that would mean nothing to the average human who had no idea what a Sentinel was. That was why officers from the Order were provided with an extra badge to serve as a cover: FBI, CSI...

"Just your standard police one." He picked one of the buns, broke a piece and dipped it into the spicy sauce.

"Not even a Detective?" I teased, pushing the rice with my fork around in my plate, then frowning when I realized that I was only toying with my food instead of eating it.

"It is a Detective one. Can I get some water?"

"Hmm?" I looked around the island and realized I hadn't provided us with any drinks so I got up and came back from the fridge with two small bottles of mineral water.

Adrian uncapped one, drinking greedily from it, his Adam's apple bobbing as the water passed down his throat. The bandage on his finger caught my attention again. If it was another day - or night - I'd jest with him, asking if he wanted me to kiss it and make it batter. To lick his finger. To taste the blood from his wound.

But not tonight.

Tonight I wanted to...

Make it up to him.

I'm sorry.

Irritation flashed through me.

Why was I sorry?

What did I have to apologize for?

I didn't ask him to worry about me. To rush here and pull me out of that damn swimming pool.

"How did you know I was in the swimming pool?" I asked just as Adrian placed the water bottle down, two thirds of its contents gone.

"I knocked on the door." He cleared his throat. "You didn't answer, but then a buzz came and when I pushed the door, it opened. Luca jumped off that corner table in your hallway and lead me outside to the terrace."

Luca.

I chuckled.

The clever little furry bastard. First he'd let someone into my apartment - although he probably saw the property more as his - then he'd brought Adrian to me. But now he was hiding instead of rubbing it in my face, saying 'That's what you get for neglecting me today'. He hadn't even appeared when the food had arrived.

Interesting...

"Did Luca... Actually buzz me in?"

I grinned at him, placing a piece of the friend bun into my mouth.

"What? Are you telling me you haven't trained your pooch to open doors?"

Technically, I hadn't trained Luca. He'd seen me push a button to unlock the door when I was too lazy to look for my keys and use them, then he'd climbed on the corner table Adrian had mentioned and imitated what I'd done. He'd quickly learned that this would get him out of the penthouse, but that if I'd closed the door behind him, he'd be locked out. He would repay me for locking him out by scratching my door and destroying the furniture once he got back inside.

I'd still lock him out on occasion, when he'd pissed me off.

I was loaded; I could afford new furniture.

Besides, I enjoyed our little game of dominance. Him breaking stuff, me replacing them and sneering at him, him pretending to be unaffected then breaking more things...

One of Vika's favorite jokes was that we needed to go to couples therapy.

"Alec?"

"Hmm?"