Chapter 39

Violent scenes ahead

Violent scenes ahead. Readers discretion advised. Graphic depictions of death may follow.

I walked along the red fields. We had fought here not so long ago and, yet, here we were again. This time, however, we were vastly outnumbered. The sky was dark, grey clouds foreshadowing our demise. We refused to give up. We refused to give in.

Flashback

"Annie? Where are you?" I called out, a small giggle releasing from my tiny lips as I ran around my huge stone home.
"Boo!" Anwyn, my best friend, pounced on me and we both fell to the floor laughing loudly. Laughter filled the house from the both of us as maids and servants smiled at the sight.

Soon the laughter had died down and the both of us were sat on the windowsill, looking out over our home.

"Annie... I'm scared." I sighed, looking over to my friend sorrowfully. She looked back at me sympathetically. 

"Why are you scared?" She asked.

"What if one day we aren't friends anymore. What if one day one of us dies." I whimpered.

"Aneira... I promise you that I will never let that happen. I will be your best friend and I will look after you for ever until the sun crashes into the earth and the devil's and angels fight eachother." She smiled.

I smiled back at her.

Warpaint decorated my face as I charged forwards. Mud splashed against my boot as I stood behind Lagertha on the immeasurable battlefield. I gripped my sword, ready for another fight.
For Kattegat.

Flashback

"Ivar, where are you going?" I laughed, following my best friend through the winding woodland tracks. He didn't answer. Finally, we reached a small clearing with a large lake. The sun shone down on the lake and birds chirped in the trees. Animals wandered around cheerily.

"Somewhere quiet." He answered finally.

"You know, we were supposed to visit Floki today." I sat beside my friend with a smile.

"I know. But Floki can wait." He said calmly.

"And what exactly are we doing?" I questioned. The sun was already setting in the distance and soon I knew that we would have to make our way back into Kattegat.

"Be patient and you'll see." He answered.

"Ivar, you know I'm not a patient person." I said flatly, earning a small chuckle from my friend.

"I know. Just watch." I followed his gaze to look over the little lake. After a few minutes, I realised what we were waiting for. Small glowing objects flew over the lake like fairies. They danced in the dark, sending little messages to one and other. Fireflies.