Chapter 15

"I'm going to England

"I'm going to England." I declared to Lagertha, she looked at me with confusion in return.

"We need you here." She shook her head.

"You're Queen Lagertha, you don't need me. You have an army of shieldmaiden at your disposal and, well, you're you. I'm sure you can survive without me." I stated plainly.

"And if you die while in England? What will I do without you then?" She questioned.

"Then I will be with my mother and you will live on like you always do." I replied with a warm smile.

Lagertha pulled me into a hug and whispered to me, "Are you sure you're ready?"

"I'm sure." I nodded. She nodded back, giving me her blessing and I turned to exit the Great Hall.
I walked through the busy streets of Kattegat, people rushing around past me. Kattegat was far busier than usual, we departed for England in three days and so army's of warriors were showing up to fight beside us in the name of Ragnar Lothbrok. I had no doubt that such a great man met an unfit end, that in his last moments he was not treated with the respect that he deserved. That's what my people did. However, in death, thousands were willing to die for his honour. So perhaps that made up for it. Perhaps that showed the Gods how truly great he was. For, in death, surely things are better than they are in life.

I walked to my hut, closing the creaky old wooden door behind me. My boots landed on the ground as I kicked them off, making my way over to the fire. My hands reached out, resting against the warmth like some invisible barrier separated me from the fire. My black cloak fell to the floor as I unclipped it, my hair falling free onto my back. I looked around the room, taking in its every feature. What if this was the last time I was ever here?

Suddenly the door burst open and in came the group of idiots I'd so fondly called my friends. The sons of Ragnar.

"You could at least knock. What if I was undressing?" I frowned.

"Calm down, we all know you're too lazy to do that right after you get back inside." Sigurd spoke, sitting beside me and warming himself in front of the fire.

I gave a sarcastic laugh before hitting his arm. The brothers chuckled as they all sat around the fire.

"So, are you coming to England?" Ubbe asked.

I nodded and, with a small sigh, muttered, "I'm going home."

Clearly I said it louder than I meant to for when I looked up, they were all staring at me with wide eyes.

"You're a Saxon?" Sigurd's mouth hung agape.

"Yes. I told you all that Lagertha took me back from a raid. Why are you so shocked?" I chuckled, knowing exactly why they were all so shocked.

"You never said you were from England!" They spoke in unison.

"Well, I am. Mercia born and raised." I replied.

The hut fell silent, all of the boys shuffling awkwardly as they mulled over my new information.

"Perhaps you shouldn't go to England..." Hvitserk said, breaking the silence. His brothers all nodded in agreement.

"If you're all worried about where my loyalties lie, don't. There is a reason I owe my life to Lagertha and that is because she saved my life from those people." I retorted, mildly annoyed that they could think so little of me, "Besides, I know my way around England. It's been years but I remember it all vividly. I can speak to the Saxons, I know the terrain. Why would I not go?"

"Because you might have to kill your people." Ubbe replied logically.

"You are my people. Not them." I answered angrily. "I have things to do,  if that was all you wanted."

The brothers all nodded and left my hut. All except for one. Ivar still sat by the fire silently. I grabbed a bag and began placing my things inside it, just allowing him to sit there as I always would do. He'd speak when he was ready. I knew that. I just wasn't sure what his reaction would be.

"Why are you so loyal to Lagertha?" He said finally. He spoke with venom as he said her name.

"I told you, she saved my life." I answered plainly, my back still facing him as I packed my things hurriedly.

"That's all? She saved your life once. Many people have done the same. Why is Lagertha special to you?" He pondered, the contempt clear within his voice.

"Because Lagertha gave me a life! She gave me everything!" I yelled out in response. Ivar looked up at me after my outburst, awaiting an explanation. A small tear rolled out from my eye and down my cheek. Soon, many more followed in suit. "Egil wasn't my first husband." I began as I walked over to the fire and sat opposite him. "When I was fourteen, my father sold me to a man over double my age. He was disgusting. My mother was furious... My closest friend killed her when she tried to help me escape. I was forced to marry him. That night, he came back to our room and said he wanted to... 'consumate' the marriage. I was just a child. Fourteen. When he came over to try and force himself on me... I stabbed him. And I kept stabbing him even after he was dead. The next day, my father found me. He called me a witch. I was paraded through the streets as people threw rooted food and garbage at me. All because I'd defended myself." I moved my shirt to reveal the huge scar that spread across my back and continued, "They branded me in front of the entire time. People cheered as I screamed from the pain of having this burned into my skin. I was locked away in a prison cell, awaiting my death when Lagertha and her shieldmaiden attacked the town. She found me broken and afraid. She gave me the life I'd always wanted, a chance to be strong... A chance to be my own person... A chance to live. She trained me. She made me who I am now. You may hate her, Ivar, for what she did to your mother. I could never condone her actions or tell you that what she did was right. But I would also never betray her. I would never leave her side. I hope you understand that."

Ivar listened to me silently. He watched as tears streamed down my face and heard my voice falter as I recalled those events. He stayed silent for a while after I had finished, not a word being shared between us. Only Bjorn and Lagertha knew of what I had just told Ivar. I had never told another living soul and he knew that. I waited as he processed this information and looked for the correct words to say.

"It sounds like this is your fight too. We're not the only ones who need revenge." He said finally, reaching a hand over the fire and gently placing it on mine. "Now, tell me about England."