Chapter 19

I readied myself for battle, putting my hair into braids as I listened to more arguing between the brothers

I readied myself for battle, putting my hair into braids as I listened to more arguing between the brothers. This time it was between Bjorn and, of course, Ivar. I rolled my eyes listening to them. As much as I hated to admit and make Ivar more arrogant, I had to agree with him. I felt as though I was doing that a lot lately. I strolled over to them, greeting them all with a smile.
"What do you think we should do, Aneira?" Ubbe asked as I leaned on Ivar's chariot, listening to each argument.
"Personally, I would have to agree with Ivar. Ecbert's men know how we fight, his son has even fought with our armies before. They'll be expecting the shield wall. We are not dealing with Alle, Ecbert is an intelligent man. One whom we should not consider lightly. New strategies and tactics is exactly what we'll need to defend against them otherwise we are just marching to our deaths." I reasoned logically.
Ivar smirked triumphantly, "Exactly what I was saying! Finally, someone with sense."
I hit his arm as we awaited Bjorn's response. Finally he nodded and decided to join his youngest brother. I smiled as I watched them depart before turning to leave.
"Aneira," Ubbe held my arm before I left, he gestured for me to walk with him so we could speak in private and so I did. "Are you alright to fight today? I heard you this morning... You're not sick are you?" He worried quietly so that his brothers, particularly Hvitserk, could not hear.

I nodded, forcing a smile onto my face, "I'm fine, Ubbe, I swear. Don't worry about me." In actuality, I was terrified. This was not the first time I had been sick since before we had left Kattegat. To begin with, I feared that I might be sick. Now something much more troubling plagued my mind. The idea that perhaps it was not sickness, perhaps it was something far worse.
Perhaps I was pregnant.

Ubbe nodded, "If you need me, you know where I am." and he departed. I smiled at his kindness. Ubbe had always been that way, both loyal and kind to a fault. That is why I had always trusted him, much like I did Bjorn.
I sat against a tree, looking down at my stomach. For now, it was not growing. There was no other evidence of the life that could be growing inside me. Nothing but the sickness. I continued to hold onto to hope that it was all just in my head. Perhaps it would just go away. But nothing works that way.

Hvitserk ventured over, sitting beside me. "What was that about?" He questioned.
"Nothing." I sighed. He raised his brow at me but I merely ignored it. I was suddenly so afraid. Once I could be this merciless killing machine, I could be reckless and bullheaded. The only life I risked was my own. All of that had changed now. My entire world had been turned upside down. All I could think of doing was protecting this child. Nothing else mattered. I had to defend it at all costs.
That is when I saw Helga.
"Excuse me, Hvitserk." I tapped him on the shoulder as I stood up. He still just stared at me in confusion but I continued to ignore his expression, walking over to Helga.
"May I speak with you?" I asked her, desperation oozing from my words.

"Of course, what is wrong?" She asked as we walked further into the woods.
I looked around, making sure no one was listening before my strong persona broke down. Tears poured from my eyes and rolled down my cheeks, Helga pulling me into a gentle hug. "What is the matter?" She asked with concern.
I pulled away, looking at her with such fear.
"How did you know when you were pregnant?" The words slipped out of my mouth suddenly.
She looked at me, a little shocked before her face just turned to another sympathetic smile. "You think you could be with child?" I nodded in response, words like a foreign tongue to my shaking body. "Have you told Egil?" She questioned. I shook my head. Helga just held my hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. "You've been sick every morning?"
"Almost." I croaked out. She nodded understandingly.
"And have you bled?"
I shook my head. She looked at me with a gentle smile.
"How long?" She asked
"Three weeks." I answered honestly.
"Dear girl" She held me in her arms for a moment. I was happy to have Helga with me, her maternal arms wrapped around me comfortingly. I did not feel judged or alone, she held me tenderly in away that made my worries scuttle to the back of my mind. She pulled away from me, gently holding a hand to my cheek. "I am sure you will be a wonderful mother."
"What should I do?" I fretted.
"Be careful... And tell the child's father." She answered finally. I gave her a nod before we walked back to camp hand in hand. My free hand wiped away the remnants of tears that stained my cheeks.
I thanked Helga before walking over to Hilda and Egil whom were laughing and flirting happily. How could I tell them such news? How could I do that to them? What if it ruined their new relationship? What if I ruined it. Before I could make it to them, I felt a hand on my arm. I turned around, a little startled, only to see Hvitserk.
"What's wrong? You're shaking?" He asked me, concerned. Without a second thought, I fell into him, hugging him as his arms wrapped around me reassuringly. I wept quietly into his chest feeling terrified and vulnerable.
Hvitserk led me back to me tent, still with his arm around me comfortingly. He didn't force the subject, instead just sat beside me and waited for me to speak again. Patiently he sat there in silence, holding onto me as I did nothing but let stray tears wash down my face.
"I'm with child." I said finally.
He looked at me not saying a word for a moment until he knew what to say. Finally he broke the silence, "And Egil is the father?" He confirmed.
I nodded.
"And you do not wish to tell him in case it gets between him and Hilda?" He spoke as though he could read my mind. I simply nodded again.
"I don't know what to do. I cannot be a mother, not all on my own. I cannot care for a child. I'm a warrior, I do not know how to be a good mother." I spilled out in utter terror.
Hvitserk looked down at me, a small smile gracing his lips as he cupped my chin to look up at him, "You are not alone." He said finally.
I looked at him in astonishment before new fears began to plague my mind. "And what about Egil?" I fretted.
"What of him? He does not need to know that the child is his." Hvitserk spoke as though it were the most obvious thing in the world.
"And who else's child would it be?" I chuckled. I looked over at him and he smiled widely as though he was plotting something.
"Hvitserk no." I laughed, knowing what he was going to say.
"Why not? I would be an excellent father." He said proudly.
"But the child is not even yours!" I smiled, listening to his insanity.
"They don't know that." He grinned.
I sighed, "You? A father? What about being young and bedding women."
"I will not need other women if you agree to marry me." He shrugged, speaking as though it were normal.

I looked at him wide eyed, "You're serious, aren't you?" He nodded in response. "And what of Ivar?"
"What of him?" Hvitserk answered.
"Don't play dumb. You know he feels the same as you do." I sighed.
"That is your decision. I, myself, would like to not have to share another woman with one of my brothers." He joked, "But if you do choose Ivar, I will still care for you and our child."
I threw a pillow at him and let out a laugh, "Hvitserk, you don't have a child!"
He smirked, tackling me to the floor of the tent as we both laughed ecstatically, "I don't know, this could be the first of many." And, without warning, our lips connected in a gentle kiss.

This time, however, it did not just end with that kiss.

Uwu because I'm predictable as fuck. Can we just talk about how underrated my mans Hvitserk is?
And like I don't get it. He's such a babe.

???????????????

Are y'all high?

-Rhi