Chapter 22

We held a huge feast within the walls of this small captured village

We held a huge feast within the walls of this small captured village. The home of King Ecbert. On that day, we had successfully gained lands from the king and saw to his death. The village was lit up as people cheered and drank. Perhaps some good did come from this, after all.
I sat at a table in the corner of the large square, I was alone and planned to keep it that way. That plan, however, was always difficult when surrounded by drunk men. I sat with a horn of ale, drinking it slowly. The brothers sat higher up on a large table that was meant just for them and those whom they were close with. I had made the decision to sit by myself on this night, much to their disappointment.
I noticed a large man sit beside me. His face was in a perpetual frown as he looked me up and down. I turned to him unamused, "Can I help you?"

"I don't know, can you?" He smirked, still eyeing me up and down. "Here, why don't you take this? Get a little drunk, maybe we can help eachother then." He said, handing me a drink.

I narrowed my eyes at him, "Why don't you stick it up your ass instead?"
I felt his hand moving up my leg and my blood quickly began to boil, I was so not in the mood for this shit. I grabbed hold of his hand, twisting it. I gave his arm a jolt, hearing a crack as his shoulder dislocated. I kept pushing his arm. The eyes of almost everyone at the feast were now on us as the man let out a feminine scream. "The last man who tried to force himself on me ended up dead. Consider yourself lucky." With that, my boot collided with his back knocking him to the ground.

I walked away, not caring about the eyes that stared at me as I left. I kept walking until I could see no one, listening to the voices of my fellow warriors die down until the buzzing in my head was no more.

"Leaving so soon?" I heard Ivar question as he made his way over to me on his new crutches. I stayed silent as he sat beside me, not wishing for his sympathy at present. Though, I should've known Ivar wasn't here to offer sympathy. That is what I had always found comforting about his company.
"What do you want, Ivar?" I asked, gruffly.
He turned to me, a small smile gracing his lips, "You know this place. Where do you think we should go next?"
"What do you mean? I thought, after this, we were returning to Kattegat." I stared confused.
"I do not wish to just farm and make settlements, Aneira. I know you feel the same. This raid should not just end here with half of us going home and the rest farming with my brothers. I have not talked to my brother's yet but I think we should raid elsewhere. With this great army, what's to stop us from taking all of England?" He explained.
I gave him a small smile, hearing his proposition, "York." I spoke finally.
"What about it?" He asked, mildly amused.
"We should take York. It's in the perfect location. It's in-land but our boats can get their up river. No one will ever expect the attack." I told him excitedly.
"We?" He smirked at my comment.
"You think that I'll let you do this alone. Not a chance. Count me in." I grinned.
He looked at me for a moment, intrigued by my idea, "And have you been there before?"
"To York? Yes. That's where I'm from." I sighed at the memory.
"So perhaps we will be able to get revenge for you also." Ivar answered and a smiled in sheer delight at the thought. Perhaps we would.
"How many men do you think will be willing to join you?" I hummed.
"How many men do you think you can gather?" He questioned in return.
"You want me to gather soldiers for you?" I asked, shocked.
"Who else would I trust?" He shrugged, making me smile.
"Don't get all soft on me now, Boneless." I chuckled, shoving him lightly.
He smiled, "Don't make me regret my decision."
"I would never." I fained shock, laughing slightly.
The two of us made our way back to the feast, plotting and laughing as we walked. No one really noticed our return until we walked up to go and sit with Ivar's older brothers.

"What were you two doing for so long?" Ubbe questioned, raising an eyebrow.
"Talking." I smiled at Ivar who gave his brothers a smug grin. They had no idea what we were planning. They never did.

I sat with them for a few hours more, drinking and chatting. Ivar sat at one end of the table, me beside him on the corner. Ubbe was next to me, Hvitserk next to him and Sigurd on the other corner beside Bjorn who sat opposite Ivar. I was rather tired and excused myself early, giving Ivar a small hug before I left. On my way back to the room that I had claimed, I heard someone running behind me.

"Aneira!" Hvitserk called.

I stopped, allowing him to catch up. "Yes?"

"What was that? With Ivar?" He questioned curiously.

I shrugged, "What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean." He spoke impatiently.

"No. I do not. Please tell me what exactly you are implying." I narrowed my eyes at him, awaiting a response.

He sighed, "Never mind. Sleep well." He turned to leave and I thought it appropriate to grab his arm like he had done to me many times before. He turned to face me, looking confused.
I smiled, kissing him gently. "Sleep well, Hvitserk."

I walked inside my room, ready to sleep for an eternity.