Happy again

Katie slept peacefully up until the last moment when Matt came screaming in to her room.

"KATHERINE! There's pancakes in the kitchen and we are going with Shiro and Keith at 10 and it's 9! GET READY!" He excitedly shouted at her bouncing on the balls of his feet. Katie rubbed her eyes and slid out of bed, her feet landing almost soundlessly.
She found a pair of jeans and a t shirt and went to show Matt in his room for confirmation. She knocked repeatedly until his annoyed face was peering out at her.
"These ok?" The smaller girl asked,
"Yes, yes perfectly fine." He said as she sprinted back to her room.
Colleen came up to see if she needed any help, but to her dismay, Katie was already washed and dressed.
"Matt taught me how to do things on my own like a big girl" she replied when asked how she was ready without any help.

She was far too mature for her age and had barely had a childhood, Colleens thoughts bugged her and so she thought being around Keith might help her be more childish.

-§-
One house over

Keith didn't sleep much last night, he couldn't get her out of his head. He heard screams from next door and looked over to see Matt waking the smaller girl out of slumber.

Hey! Our windows face eachother maybe I could talk to her?! We could be friends.
Keith thought about it excitedly, he'd never been good with words or making friends he was only in year 1 and they called him a loner. Shiro will be moving to high school soon and his efforts to protect his brother won't be there anymore.

Keith has to face Altea Primary alone.

Keith got ready and wandered down stairs to see Shiro talking to his parents with wild hand gestures, "morning" he mumbled out before sitting himself at the table.
"KEITH!" Shiro shouted down his ear making him jump and clasp his ear, scowling. "WHAT!" He screamed back in his face,
"We are going to meet up with the new Holts today and go to the park" as Shiro said it Keiths face lit up like a Christmas tree. "Really?!" He spoke quietly but excitement had over come his body, then the nerves.

What if they don't like me? What if they think I'm weird?

"They will like you, son" his father said and Keith was immediately snapped out his thoughts as he realised that he'd been thinking out loud. Keith turned a bright shade of pink and hurried back upstairs after breakfast to get changed. Shiro helped him pick out jeans and a red t shirt and helped him with his jet black hair.
The brothers were reasonably closer than usual siblings, they hardly ever fought and Shiro helped Keith with basically everything.
He was more of a father to him than anyone else.
As soon as they were ready they ran to Colleen and Sams house, knocking furiously at the front door until San opened it.
"Good morning boys" he said grabbing them in a bone crushing hug,
"They are up in Katie's Room" he said in mock whisper sending them a wink as Shiro grabbed Keiths hand and dragged him up the stairs.
Katie sat with her legs dangling over the side of the bed watching her brother spin mindlessly on the chair in circles, waiting for the boys. Matt had tried to french plait Katie's hair, for a 10 year old boy it worked quite well. They heard the commotion downstairs and decided to wait for them to run up.
A few brief seconds later and a lot of thudding the boys arrived at Katie's door, knocking to be polite as Matt threw the door open inviting them in.
Katie watched as they moved in to the room and sat down.
"Hello" she said so quiet it was almost a squeak, Keith murmured a reply before sitting on the window sill.
Matt and Shiro spoke about all general things whilst Keith and Katie listened.
The day grew on as the chilrem laughed and played games, the boys stayed for dinner and left just as the sun set and Katie fell asleep on Matt whilst watching Voltron.

They finally felt happy again.