Ch 13: A Kind, Brave, Honest Queen

Winter POV:

"Oh my..." I gazed around the blacksmith shoppe in wonder, "these are all beautiful."

And it was true, there was an assortment of blades and armor. Some ornate, others simple.

Felix nodded a bit, "this village attracts all sorts, so from the palace and the queen they hold more freedom here."

A booming laugh echoed from behind us, "Felix! You damn rascal what bring you here- oh." He paused, "what a little lady."

Slowly I turned from the swords before me to see felix clasping the arm of a burly man with a scraggly red beard in greeting. I smiled up at him softly, "hello."

His eyes went so wide it looked as if it might hurt.

Felix laughed at his reaction, "Zoss, may I introduce you to Winter White, princess of Ariaá."

The huge man, Voss, bowed, "it is an honor, your seven friends have told me much about you."

My cheeks grew warm, "good things I hope. Please you need not bow. This is your shop yes?"

Voss grinned broadly, "it is princess! Humble but my pride and joy."

Felix snorted, "best not let your wife hear that Voss."

I hushed Felix, "oh stop you, the man has a right to be proud his work is simply wonderful. I am sure his wife is plenty proud."

The large man looked between us, obviously amused, "I aint ever seen no one shut that man up as fast as you just did Princess."

"Oh you hush too, please call me Winter." I smiled up at him, "any friend of Felix is a friend of mine." I blushed, "this is a bit embarrassing to admit but it seems I am terrible in any sort of battle."

I felt Felix pat my head, "actually shes got good instincts. Shes just as you first mentioned , small. And a bit more delicate. She needs the right sword."

Voss nodded, "Medicus said she would be. Good you sent her down here to describe the princess."

My brows furrowed, "oh..why is it she did that."

"Felix here kept insisting that now that the last of em was run from the palace that it wouldn't be long since that wretched queen did the same to you Winter. Man insisted you would live and you would need a sword."

"Well I wasn't wrong." Felix shrugged, "and the Winter I always knew wouldn't want to stand aside while others fought a battle. Woman would want to be with us."

I nodded, "oh but I would really like not to die, so I must learn how to fight."

Voss chuckled deeply, "you are a brave little lady. A good queen I would think."

"I do hope to be the kind of queen my people can speak to if they feel I have made grievous error."

Felix ran a hand down my braid, "And you will be Winter but first we must make you queen."

I nodded, "just do not rush. Mother will not show mercy if we fail we will all certainly be killed. We must make sure that we know exactly what it is we are doing."

The two men smiled a bit, Voss unlocking a large chest pressed against the wall, "we wont little lady. We would all like to survive this rebellion." He pulled a long blue box from the chest, placing it on the table in front of Felix and I, "In the meantime, this will probably help you learn to fight. Yah boy here was very specific."

I looked to Felix who was quite suddenly paying me zero mind and then to the box.

"Well." Voss started, "go ok then Princess Winter, open 'er up."

I did, removing the lis of painted wood to reveal a thin silver sword, resting in a bed of satin.

I gasped a bit looking at it, "oh my..."

Voss grinned, "do you like it?"

I ran my fingers over the flat of the blade from tip to hilt, "It is beautiful." Tracing the intricate hilt I let out a breathy laugh, "are those unicorns?"

"They are." Felix cut in, "I know it has been a long while since i have seen you last...and you are a woman now. But I recall as a girl you loved unicorns said they were-"

"Beautiful. Brave. And honest." I turned to the dark haired man, giving him a hug, "I still adore them so. It has been a long time since anyone has..."

He carefully wrapped his arms around me, "has what Winter."

My eyes grew watery, "since anyone has paid my likes any mind."

His grip grew harder for a moment before softening, "I will always pay mind to what you enjoy."

I nodded, pulling away to look at Voss, "may I hold it?"

He grinned down at me, "of course little lady, its yours." The large man took the sword out of its box with more delicacy than I thought possible for such big hands, presenting me the sword with its blade tip on his fingers and the hilt in his opposite palm, "go on now."

I carefully gripped it in one hand, the way Felix had shown me with his own sword, "oh!" I laughed, "this is much easier than the heavy thing Felix totes around with him."

Voss laughed, "well Felix is a little bigger than you Winter."

I hummed, "I suppose. How much doe we owe you for the sword? I do not have much money since fleeing from the palace but-"

The man held up a hand, "no. No money princess, it was an honor to craft this for you. You have given this old dog hope, ever since Felix first told me of yah hopes to change this kingdom, what you were getting up to in the palace. I will not accept money from a girl whose risked her own head for the good of others since she was a child." He smiled gently down at me, "my only hope is that this sword will help you along the way."

I nodded, surprised by his words, "I really have not done much at all Felix and my wonderful seven have done all the work I just-"

"You have done more than you can ever imagine." Felix cut in, "do not undermine your own bravery Winter."

I blushed nodding, "Okay. Thank you, both of you."

Voss pulled a light colored scabbard from the box, "I hope I made it small enough for yah. Try 'er on."

I took it, buckling it around my waist so it rested upon my hips and gently sliding the sword into the leather, "it is perfect." I turned to Felix, "how do I look? Prepared? Strong? Ready to take upon a kingdom?"

He didn't really say anything for a moment before smiling softly down at me, almost sadly, "you look like a queen Winter, a kind, brave, honest queen."