Ch 12: Women Without Virtue

Winter POV:

The left with the promise to return with Verecundus the next day.

Its been four.

I pouted looking at Veternum as he slept, wishing I could escape into one of those fantasy dreams I have been having.

Where we are all together and I am free.

A blush spread over my cheeks, where Felix is more himself than the one in reality.

Somone hugged me from behind, yawning, "what's wrong Winter? Its nap time."

I smiled a bit, "Veternum how do you sleep so well?"

"Im always tired. It makes it easy." He flopped back onto the bed, bringing me with him, "i could feel your worry even in my sleep."

"Im sorry."

"Don't be, I am sure you are stressed without Felix even if it means I get a better sleeping arrangement."

I hesitated for a second, "to be honest with you it is upsetting, and I find myself feeling more well, myself in my dreams. But I cannot sleep."

Another yawn, "well thats a problem."

"It is...I have never been without the seven of you and now that you are divided I find myself growing sad."

Vet looked me over, worry creasing his brow, "and these dreams? They bring you joy?"

I smiled wistfully at the ceiling, "they do, very much so."

He curled into me a bit, "then why do you wake up?"

"I dont think its a choice Vet."

"Hmm. Okay. Well I can help you sleep?"

"Can you?"

He nodded, grin taking over his freckled face, "just promise to include me in your dreams too!"

"I will. You are family after all."

He nodded, "Alright," slowly reaching behind me he tapped a section of my skin near my back, "If i just press here..."

I fell back into the sheets as my consciousness slipped away.

~~

"Are you sure this is okay?" I peered up at the man from behind the hood of my black cloak, "There are wanted posters of us everywhere Felix."

He hummed a bit, obviously not concerned by the posters, his own hood down, black hair glimmering in the sunlight, "they don't do you justice."

I huffed, "That is not the point."

"Oh but it is. You are the most beautiful girl in the land Winter. It was proclaimed you would be the day you were born. Your mother is so threatened by you she refuses your likeness to be portrayed realistically."

My face grew warm, "Felix. I am not that beautiful."

"The fact you are unaware of your own beauty adds to it. Very few here are loyal to the queen Winter, no one will say a word about my presence. I have been helping this village since I was banished. Close to the border as it is."