4.

Joshua laid down at the foot of his bed, staring at the ceiling. The pink slip of paper would creep back into his mind, but he didn't want to seem too excited so he put off texting Kyungmi. It was about five in the afternoon and Joshua had already completed all his homework.

   A slow sigh was released
from Joshua, unable to hold back any longer. He pulled the pink slip from his pocket and grabbed his phone. Joshua noticed the light kiss mark on the back of the paper again and felt his heart skip a beat. The number was quickly typed into the phone and he was already writing to her.

Joshua:
Hi, this is Joshua.
(Deleted)

Hi Kyungmi, just letting you know this is Joshua!
(Deleted)

Hey, it's Joshua.
(Sent)

Joshua dropped his phone in front of him on the bed and readjusted his glasses. He waited nervously for a buzz to indicate her reply and kept his eyes locked on the screen. His attention was so caught up in it, he almost screamed at the sound of something hitting his window.

Joshua looked up just in time for another hit. They looked like small pebbles. Cautiously, Joshua approached his window from the second story and looked down. Vernon was standing there with a mischievous smile and a handful of pebbles. Joshua grunted and opened the window.

"What are you doing here?" he asked in annoyance. "You didn't even let me know you were coming."

"I'm here to serenade you," Vernon joked, walking up to the house. Vernon visited Joshua fairly often and had a perfect route of getting in without using the front door. It's not that Joshua's parents didn't like Vernon and he snuck around them, he just liked to make things more interesting.

"Are you seriously coming in?" Joshua backed away to let Vernon climb up using first-story windows and the roof overhung under the second-story windows.

"Yes, I am." Vernon hoped into Joshua's room and stretched before dropping his bag onto the floor. "You should time me next time to see how fast I can climb your house."

Joshua huffed and returned to his spot on the bed to watch his phone.

"So how was the study date?" Vernon asked, raising an eyebrow at Joshua.

"It went well." Joshua began to smile. "She wants me to go to her house on Saturday mornings to help her study."

Vernon's expression changed to shock. "You're actually going to Kyungmi's house? Dude, she literally lives in a mansion."

"She's supposed to text me her address tonight." Joshua turned his phone around in circles to pass time.

Vernon picked up the pink slip of paper sitting in the bed to see Kyungmi's name and number. He flipped it over and discovered the kiss mark on the back, causing Vernon to burst out into laughter.

   "Joshua's got game!" Vernon hollered.

   "Could you keep it down?" Joshua hushed him. "My parents are downstairs."

   Vernon continued to snicker at the pink slip before putting it back down. "You know, I have an idea that will really catch Kyungmi's eye."

   Joshua glanced up at Vernon, his interest peaking. "Okay?"

   "You have contacts right?" Vernon questioned.

   Joshua nodded. "I don't wear them to school though. Only on special occasions."

   "Wear them tomorrow," Vernon ordered. He unzipped his backpack and threw a pair of jeans at Joshua. "I know you don't have black skinny jeans, so wear these with your gray sweatshirt. White shoes."

   "Is this really nec—"

   "Yes, and don't gel you hair. Wash it and towel dry."

   "I'll look so different." Joshua tried to imagine how others would see him with the new look.

   "But you'll look pretty badass after your previous attire."

    Joshua hesitated, thinking about the outcome. The more he thought on it, the more it started to settle into his mind. "Okay," he finally agreed.

   "We can update your wardrobe this weekend," Vernon added. "Another thing, Mingyu is hosting a party at his house tomorrow night after the basketball game. He hasn't spread word yet because he was planning on doing it at school. If you invite Kyungmi before he announces it, she'll think you're really tight with Mingyu."

   "A party?" Joshua repeated. "I don't go to parties."

   "Well, you better go to this one because I already told Mingyu that you were planning on it."

   Joshua sharply exhaled. "You told him I was set on going when you hadn't even asked me?"

   Vernon shrugged.

   Just then, Joshua's phone vibrated.

Kyungmi:
OMG, hey Josh! Sorry, I was eating dinner with my family. I won't be available this Saturday :( but every other one seems to work. Here's my address...

   Vernon peeked over Joshua's shoulder and whistled. "Your girlfriend is texting you."

   "Shut up," Joshua mumbled as he started to text back.

Joshua:
Sounds great!
(Deleted)

K
(Deleted)

Noted, thanks for texting me back.
(Deleted)

   Vernon snickered at Joshua's struggle with typing a nice response. He took the phone out of Joshua's grip and started to text for him.

Joshua:
Whatever works for you.  See you tomorrow.
(Sent)

   "Play it cool," Vernon whispered while moving his arm like a slow wave.