Remorse

We all have our orders. Steve and our new recruit Scott go in to distract while Sam and Bucky and I look for the right hangar while Wanda and Clint are providing Steve's backup.. I secretly hope that we can all stand arm in arm and see this through as a group ready to take on the heat of the world, but we've put ourselves in this position so it will inevitably end with a victorious side.

We're perched high above the others, as Steve confronts Nat, Tony, T'Challa and Rhodes while we stay hidden. Sam's Red Wing scans the area. I'm huddled with Bucky to my left and Sam to my right. I keep my eyes trained on Sam's monitor ready to head for the jet.

It seems we aren't the only side to bring on a new recruit. I tap Sam on the shoulder and point down. Someone has swooped down, shooting a web he takes Steve's shield. "Hurry it up Sam." I say looking on. Nervous, knowing they wouldn't do anything to harm him right away but also knowing anything could set them all off.

"We found it. Hanger five, north runway." Sam radios to the team He turns to me and points in the direction. 

I nod as Clint shoots his arrow freeing Steve and Lang grows to size. As Sam turns away I grab him by the shoulder. "We get them out here..." I say referring to Steve and Bucky. "No matter what it takes." He squeezes my wrist in response and then turns to the window looking back over the tarmac. I step in front of Bucky now. No words pass between us as he takes my hands in his. The gesture surprises me, but it feels normal as if they'd always belonged there. I can tell he's trying, truly trying to feel again, feel everything we used to have with each other. As windows crack and things crash far below us it's clear that his hollow feelings cannot be remedied now. Alerted by Steve's call for backup through comms I turn away quickly and sprint down the long terminal. "Clint, Bucky, Sam... you've been spotted." Steve says. I'm grateful that I haven't heard my name, that's something I don't need to worry about right now. My mission is in front of me. I glance out the large window to my right and see all the destruction that has already transpired. It only makes me run harder to the end of the terminal where the hanger is now visible. I draw my gun that Sharon loaned me and shoot out the window, it shatters and I'm able to drop down to a ledge and then jump a small distance to a luggage car. I drop down again this time to the ground. 

Peeking around the corner I see that everyone has joined the fight on the ground. Even Vision has found his way to us. Every bit of me wants to run to Steve's side and join in on the fight. I turn my head knowing if I look any longer I will abandoned my own mission. I've made it to the hanger. Sure enough the quinjet sits alone inside. "I'm inside." I say looking back again at the two sided battle. 

"Get her ready to fly!" Steve says before he's abruptly cut off by a banging sound.  I do as I'm told and climb inside

"We gotta go. That guy's probably in Siberia by now." This call comes from Bucky.

"Jet's ready." I say flicking the idle switch. 

"We gotta draw out the flyers first. I'll take Vision. You all get the jet."

Sam and I respond at the same time. "No." I say spinning my chair around. 

"You get to the jet! Both of you! The rest of us aren't getting out of here." Sam says I look outside and see him flying through the air with Rhodes right on his tail. 

"I'm coming to help." I open the back hatch and make my way down. "They haven't seen me yet maybe I can..." 

"Stop." I turn to my left.

I slump my shoulders. "Nat." I say pleading. "This isn't the real fight." She steps closer to me her widow bites primed and glowing. "Think about this... You know nothing that has happened the past few days have made any sense." I take a step closer to her this time. "Steve needs this jet... they won't stop." She studies me for merely a moment before lowering her arm. 

"What's the play?" She asks. I'm about to radio to Steve when something shoots into the sky I blink once adjusting to the shadow cast. Scott Lang has grown to the size of a building.

"A diversion... I guess." Stepping forward I myself am distracted for a moment before I regain my composure seeing Bucky and Steve running towards us. They're near but then there's a large cracking noise as the watchtower above the hanger collapses down towards the entrance, right in front of me. Looking out across the tarmac I see that Vision has caused the destruction. As quickly as it crumbles it ends. Beyond Steve and Bucky, Wanda stands hands up and out. Even from here I can see that she's exerting herself. She buys us the time we need because by the time she has to let go, the boys have made it inside.

They stop when they see Natasha. "I know you're not going to stop." She says directing it to Steve. She looks at me and then steps aside. "Go." She says. I nod to her and then turn to follow the boys.

"Captain Rogers!" I turn to see where the voice has come from. Nat already has her bites on him. T'Challa, fully suited has made his way inside. It could be moments before the others follow... or something much worse. The boys are inside. I slam the switch that controls the quinjet plank and jump back to the earth before it can close. I draw my gun and step up beside Natasha. 

"Please." I start. "Just let them go." He makes a move forward and Nat stuns him. I look up over my shoulder and see one look from Bucky from the front window. It's a look of remorse. It pains me too much so I, despite my sudden desire to be near him, turn my head back to the issue at hand. The jet shoots overhead clearing the debris before departing in a fury. I can't help but smile at them as Natasha disarms me and puts my hands behind my back.

"You know I have to do this." She says in a whisper. T'Challa has sunken to his knees, obviously too distressed to fight anymore.

"I couldn't run even if you gave me the opportunity." I say knowing that I needed to stay here and see it all through no matter what that meant. Stay with my friends and look out for them while Steve was away. Natasha marches me outside where the rest of compatriots are in shambles. Clint has surrendered to German police, Scott lies on his back normal size, Wanda is being cradled by Vision who is being engulfed by a circle of German police and special forces. Sam is nowhere to be seen, in fact neither is Rhodey or Tony. 

Sirens fill the only empty space in my mind as I'm taken from Natasha's custody. I'm shoved onto the ground and quickly stripped of my weapons. My hands are cuffed behind my back before I'm roughly pulled back to my feet. I'm flanked by several soldiers as I'm marched by many of my former friends. Tony has appeared from the airfield. He looks griefed as he throws Sam to the feet of more soldiers. I make eye contact with him and see the tears that glisten in his eyes before I'm blinded by a bag tossed over my head. My immediate thought goes to Rhodes. 

I'm hoisted into a vehicle and at first I can't tell what it is but then I hear the rotors and know it's a helicopter. They would most definitely be taking us somewhere far and away from here. I can tell that I'm alone here, there's a guard to my right but that's all. I take the time to lean back and process. Steve and Bucky got away and that's all that matters. I suppose the Avengers have just been broken apart too, but perhaps that could be healed if and when the boys prevail.