Hard Times

January 9th, 1935

I lean up against the school gate, waiting for Bucky and Steve to exit their school building as I do everyday. It's become routine for them to walk me to school and then for me to walk with them after I leave. We all still live very closely together despite my father's initial promises. Those promises were before the depression hit. We stayed because we didn't know how badly we'd be affected by it. We're one of the lucky families. My father kept his job and with only my mother and I to care for we've had it easier than most. Ever since the stock market crashed lots of houses have been going up for sale for relatively cheap prices, prices we can afford. Houses away from Steve and Bucky. 

I'm distracted from my thoughts as the final school bell rings. I watch all the kids spill out into the freezing cold. I've hated going to a different school than them, but my father insisted that if I ever wanted to get where I wanted in life that I would need to go to a sophisticated school. While my girls only school had given me many opportunities to learn and meet new people as times grew harder many of my good friends have left the school and now go to Steve and Bucky's school or don't go at all. I see these girls everyday but they never say hello. Some smile but most of them turn away from me. I can't blame them. I wish so much that I could help them and their families, but even if I could would they accept it from me. 

I keep my head down as my old friends pass. Guilt washes over me as they walk by in old dresses and thin sweaters, many of them are without coats. It's snowing, freezing, it has been all day. Behind the main group, a young girl that I've never met hurries to catch up to them. Without thinking about it much I stuff my hat and gloves into my coat pockets and slide it off my shoulders. I step in front of the younger girl. She looks up at me scared until she sees me holding out my coat to her. The exchange is wordless as she looks up at me with her cheeks red from the cold, and wraps her numb fingers around the coat collar. She takes it hesitantly thinking I may be playing a joke on her. I dump it into her arms and step away. I watch her slide down the icy sidewalk towards the group. She's warm. As she disappears, I realize how cold it really is even with my sweater on. I don't care though, that little girl is warm now. I can bare it until we get home.

Finally Steve and Bucky exit the building laughing and smiling. I smile back at them when we meet up. A cold wind rips through my thin sweater and skirt keeping my smile bright. "Where's your coat Eve? You'll freeze out here." Steve says.

Sensing the accusation I come up with a lame excuse, "Oh I forgot it."

"No you definitely had it this morning." Bucky accuses.

"Oh I just forgot it at school..." I lie. Shrugging I start to walk forward but Steve stops me and  starts to take off his jacket. Bucky puts a hand out to stop him taking off his own. I roll my eyes and put my hands out to stop him from giving it to me, but he just puts it on me anyway. 

"Thanks Buck." I smile up at him and wrap it tighter around myself glad to be out of the cold. 

We exit the school yard and head down the familiar streets back to the warmth of our homes. Reaching Steve's door we find that Sara is still out at work and that Steve will be all alone like he often is. We say our goodbyes and I give Bucky his coat back smiling. He takes it gently from my red fingertips saying, "I know you feel bad for those girls, but you need to take care of yourself too." I look down nodding. 

He knows me so well, to know that I would do something like that. I unlock my door and answer him. "That's what I keep you two around for." I say laughing. I step across the doorway and into the heat of our flat. "Are you sure you don't want to stay and warm up?"

"Yeah. Sorry, I've got my little sister at home, I should give my mom a break." Suddenly I feel foolish. I'm worrying about what to have for dinner, and Bucky is worried about going home and not having anything to eat. When I turn around he's already halfway down the steps. Smelling mum's cooking makes my stomach growl but I really just want more time with James.

"Bucky hold up!" I yell down to him. I turn into my flat and call to my mother. "Mum I'm going down to Bucky's for awhile I'm gonna meet little Rebecca." She turns from the stove and waves me away. It's funny how whenever I mention Bucky being with me she automatically trusts me to stay out of trouble, but when I go by myself she gets strict. I quickly shut the door behind me letting my mother stay away from the bitterness of New York winter air. I skim the stairs and then slide on the sidewalk to Bucky's side. "I just thought I'd meet that sister of yours. It's been what? Almost two month and I haven't met her yet. I mean Rogers got to so shouldn't I?"

"Come on." He says grinning and draping an arm over my shoulder. He doesn't take a single glance at me the whole way there, but I watch every move he makes, wishing I could do this every day.