three

[Chapter three: Shackles and deadly battles]

The sound of metal shackles touching the ground were loud as the steel bars of huge cages opened and closed with different men groaning in pain. This was a dark side not known to many in the whole empire. An illegal underground battles were held wherein people of high society watch for entertainment.

In the contrary, the poor ones and people who have been taken away from nobility were caged up, forced to fight other humans to survive. The audience will place a bet and the winners get the gold. As for the opponents fighting, one can only survive.

It's to kill or to die.

Men were forced to fight while women were sold as slaves. This is an underground arena hidden from the kingdom and death was a normal occurrence in here.

"For the next battle, we got a newbie versus the current champion! Now place your bets!" the host announced as the crowd went loud.

"This will be an easy battle!"

"Of course, I'll place my bet on the champion."

"Me too! We'll get gold tonight."

The host cleared his throat, "Time to call our fighters! First of, the newbie from the west fighter 09999" he announced as an old pale man walked towards the arena fear evident in his face.

"Time to get the Champion! Open his cage!" A guard screamed as the attendants obliged, inserting the key to the lock opening the cage of the champion. He's a young man wearing a dark robe with his jet black hair, bloodshot eyes, muscular body, cold menacing aura and a will to kill.

Ever since day one, he never hesitated to kill earning him the title of the champion and he never once lost to a battle.

And tonight will be the same.

The crowd cheered as they see the champion entering the arena. He sure is the crowd's favorite as they never lost bets with him. "Entering the arena we have our champion fighter 01997!"

"Let the battle begins!" the host announced starting the battle of survival.

"D-Don't please, Don't kill me" the newbie begged with an  obvious body shaking from fear. The champion smirked ignoring his plea as he continued walking towards the older man. Seeing the champion with no hints of letting him live, the shaking man tried throwing a jab towards his opponent as the champion easily dodged.

The champion remained silent as he glared at the newbie smirking at his weak attack. "P-Please I don't want to die" the older man begged once more as the champion glared at him with his menacing eyes ready to hunt his prey.

"Don't you know the rules ? It's to kill or to die. And I suppose you chose the latter."

The champion speaks not breaking the icy glare he had towards his opponent until he finally launch his arms towards his prey smacking him to the ground.

He kicked his ribs countless of times as the poor guy bawl in pain.

Contrary to the beliefs, the champion didn't like torturing people even his opponents. Heck, he did not enjoy killing people but he had to or else he'll get killed.

And he refused.

He refused to get killed.

He once thought dying as a solution to this ruthless life. If he finally lost a battle and he died, he would leave his poor life behind. But there was always this uncanny feeling inside him that he could not explain.

He needed to survive.

And tonight he will as he finally stopped kicking his opponent when he saw him weak enough to fight back. He then drag the older man's collar looking straight at his prey's eyes slowly losing consciousness. "I'll make it quick."

He then grabbed the man's shoulder to his side grabbing his jaw next and finally snapping his head to death.

"And the winner is fighter 01997! He still remains the champion" The host announced as the crowd went loud.

The champion's eyes were glued to the ground ignoring the cheers for him as he silently walk away exiting the arena.

Another night he survived,

Another death added to his guilt.