eleven

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

NOTE:
I hope you enjoy this chapter and if so don't forget to vote, comment, and share. College and life is picking up, but I will try my best to continue to update. Also I'm working on a HFWG update.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

1 1 | Until There Was You

The first thing Jude acknowledged when he walked into the house was the loud music and the group of chain smokers drowning the sofa with their wisps of smoke. The smell burned his nose and he nearly coughed up a lung at the contact. He squinted to make out his surroundings but came to no avail. The only thing Jude was truly aware of was Waverly pulling on his arm, and where Lincoln had been leading them.

He coughed several more times until everything was as clear as glass and he was in an entirely different room. The nicotine smell stained his clothes. He wanted to curse under his breath at Waverly's suggestion to attend the party, and because he decided to come along in the first place.

His eyes skimmed over the tight hallway they squeezed through until Lincoln led them into the kitchen with Waverly grasping the beer case in her other hand—the one that wasn't holding onto Jude. There were a lot of familiar and unfamiliar people in the kitchen, but that didn't faze Jude as they circled him with congratulations. There was one guy, Jude knew as Ezra who whooped and hollered Jude's name for the victory they recently received. Jude gave a soft smile and looked to Waverly who found a seat on top of the counter with a freshly opened beer in hand. She received a few looks but she responded with her signature eye roll and an equally intimidating middle finger.

"Have a beer," Ezra insisted, pushing a beer in front of Jude's chest. "You deserve it."

"Nah, I think I'll pass," he responded, waving the cold bottle away from him. Ezra shrugged and decided to chug it himself, getting whoops and hollers from the crowd as he chugged the drink. Jude laughed silently and found an open seat next to Waverly.

"This is definitely a huge disappointment," Waverly admitted, looking at Jude with lidded eyes.

"Wanna get out of here?" Jude asked, watching as people entered and exited the kitchen. The music faded out, playing in the background a few rooms away from where they were. Jude could hear it tapping against the walls and he watched people dance awkwardly to the beat, while he wavered in the background. He cringed as the rap song boomed and kids shifted their limbs. Those were the people who didn't care who saw them dance. Jude tapped his fingers instead.

"We just got here," Waverly reminded, then she jumped off the counter and placed her beer in her spot. "Let's play a little game of truth or dare. Just you and me."

Jude raised an eyebrow, slinging one of his arms over the counter while facing Waverly. "Truth or dare?"

"Yeah, unless you're not up for it," she challenged and Jude tried with difficulty to decipher her motives under the suggestion. He skimmed the room once more and found that Lincoln was no longer present—maybe in another room getting laid, or in the living room chatting up his other friends. He was gone just like that. Jude wondered if playing this game would make their presence at the party more entertaining. He hadn't agreed yet, but still Waverly continued to talk. "I dare you to stand on top of this counter."