twenty-one

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
NOTE:
If you enjoyed please vote, comment, and share. 

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

   2 1 |  Until There Was You

2 1 | Until There Was You

Jude skipped school the following day to escape the overwhelming sensation that strangled his mind. Of course, Waverly was the one who influenced him to do it by means of having a quiz she hadn't studied for. Jude told himself that he only agreed not because it was Waverly, but because he needed the haze of relaxation and calamity that the city possessed and the school lacked. They both had valid reasons for not attending school that day. Unsurprisingly, it wasn't the first time Jude skipped school before.

He skipped along with Beverly, Seth, Lincoln, and Bridget all before. It seemed like centuries ago when they were all a jubilant bunch—talk of the school kind of affiliation. He remembered the casual conversations, the delicate way Beverly would lean against him, the laughs they'd share. All of it was nostalgic and bittersweet.

Sometimes Beverly would accidentally brush her lips against Jude's jaw and he'd allow his hands to run through her hair. They weren't problematic then, but Jude had to remember that while they had always been wrapped in that affectionate embrace, Seth was always somewhere nearby and completely aware. Who knew how long their fling had been going on?

Jude felt he was suffocating beforehand with the pressures of being perfect. When they left the chambers of that hellhole, stuffing their faces with Antonio's pizza instead, Jude couldn't have been more satisfied. David, the current owner of the building, stepped out and served the two rebellious teens pizza, but eventually he collected a seat at the booth with them. "What are you kids doing out of school? Is it some national holiday I don't know about?"

Waverly laughed and Jude looked at her as if she held up the world, the sun, and its orbit, twisting galaxies in her hand. She realized Jude had been looking her way and didn't bat an eyelash. That was Waverly for you. Jude didn't hide the fact that he'd been staring either.

"Something like that," she grinned watching Jude reflect her beguiling smile. It was almost as if they were gazing at a mirror, matching their actions and inflicting the same motives. Jude was more than glad they skipped rather than attend school. School was shitty and people were shittier—there was absolutely nothing waiting for him in that massive building.

"I'll never understand these trends you kids have these days," David sighed. "I still don't understand what the pause challenge is. It sounds ridiculous if you ask me."

"What the hell is that?" Waverly wondered and David made a face at her word choice. The use of hell stinging like poison to the older man's ears.

"Language," he pointed out.