Chapter 3: Departure

The date of the departure snuck up on me like a looming snake. I woke from my slumber heavily breathing and sweating. Once the boys were gone who would help with my nightmares? I looked over at the clock to see it was only 4:00am and the boys had to be up at 6. I didnt want to wake them with my fears so instead, I decided to sneak downstairs and surprise them with breakfast.

I made pancakes because I know that's always their favorite and mine. As I cooked I got lost in my thoughts. It wasn't sinking in that they would soon be gone. I then plated the pancakes with maple syrup and blueberries and decided to write them letters for when they were gone. As I was finishing up the last letter I heard someone enter the room.

"Oh, hey Conon" I spoke, "what's all this for" he replied in a raspy voice. 

"I just wanted to do something special for you", Greyson walked up next to him and they both smiled and thanked me. We then spent the morning laughing and going over our favorite past times together. Like the time the boys thought I was eaten by the bath monster under the bubbles but really I had just left the room. I would miss them.

Before I knew it doom time had arrived. The boys slung their large army green backpacks over their shoulders and opened the door to reveal a sleepy looking Scott. "I call shotgun", yelled Conon. How could they be so energetic and happy on a day like this? I just sondered into the back seat with Greyson. 

The drive took about a half hour and that time was filled with all the boys singing horrible old songs. I would've joined in but I didn't want to turn anyone deaf before they left. Once at the airport, we all walked to the security, the boys still joking around. I stayed silent. Grey turned around and mumbled a "well this is it". I was holding in the tears for them. The sorrow hit me and I felt paralyzed. Grey came and hugged me goodbye as conon farewelled Scott. I held onto Greyson so tight. Breathing in his scent of a misty forest. Tears of mine fell softly onto his shoulder. He whispered into my ear "just look at the moon, and I will too. Because we all see the same one". Then the warm comfort of his hug ended and Conon came in for one. I held on like my life depended on it. "you'll be ok, we will come back. He whispered. I glanced over at grey looking away to wipe a tear. 

They waved goodbye once more before disappearing into the crowds of people. My knees felt weak. They took a part of me with them, I felt it disappear. Before I could hit the ground Scott caught me and carried me away. I cried and yelled. Everyone. Everyone was gone.

They just left 

Gone