Chapter 23

Chapter 23   

          The morning after the wedding was rather… unpleasant. The kitchen was filled with empty and dirty dishes, floors reeked of alcohol, flower petals both inside and outside the castle. Guards fell asleep on duty, leaning on tower railings or passed out in the wooden galleries. Nobody expected to be a part of such a vivacious event, the celebration continued to the morning.

            The troops came back around noon, their arrival waking up the whole castle. Suddenly bells rang, guards back on their feet. Wobbling, one of them went to Alexander’s chamber which was now also Rosalie’s. May and Lukas got their own chamber, just like Waverly and Darius who couldn’t wait to live through the wedding again, this time theirs.        

            Rosalie woke up to noise, her head resting on a warm shoulder. Alexander’s arm acted like a pillow, wrapping her in his gentle embrace. She opened her eyes, blinking rapidly at the light. The chest under her rumbled and heaved.

            ‘’Wake up, Alex. Someone’s at the door.’’ She lightly shook his torso, but he barely budged. The change in his breathing told her he was awake, but not in mood to get up. An idea popped up in her head.

           With a victorious smirk, she pressed her lips behind his ear. He gulped, but refused to open his eyes. She went down his throat, her lips icy comparing to his hot skin. When she passed the most sensitive part, he jumped. His eyes were wide with fear. She pretended to be as surprised.

            ‘’Alex, what happened? Did you have a bad dream?’’ She bit the inside of her lip to keep from smiling, amused by how frightened he was. After all, she had to do something memorable for their first night together as husband and wife. He gasped, catching air.

            ‘’There, there was a spider. Where is it? It was so cold.’’ His eyes frantically searched the sheets but found no sign of any spider.

            ‘’Did you see it?’’ His hopeful tone almost made her regret it. Almost.

           ‘’There’s no spider here, relax. I won’t let anything happen to you,’’ she prattled using a sweet voice and rubbed his cheeks. He blushed, swatting her hand away. She pushed herself on her knees and then stepped out of the bed, slipping her feet into soft shoes.

            ‘’Someone’s at the door.’’

            His lips parted as he realized the Guard heard him squeal because of a plain spider that wasn’t even there. Quickly throwing on his pants and a shirt, he opened the door.

            ‘’Good morning, your Majesty. The troops have arrived, knights demand a meeting.’’

            ‘’Now?’’

            ‘’Yes,’’ the Guard replied impatiently, ‘’now.’’

            ‘’We’ll come to the Great Hall.’’

            Rosalie shuddered at ‘we’, poor Alex didn’t know what she was planning. It was the perfect moment, considering the urgency, but first she wanted to make sure everything went as prepared.

            ‘’What’s wrong?’’

            ‘’I’m not sure, but it can’t be anything good. I have a strange feeling about today.’’

            ‘’Why?’’ She put on her dress and took a warm cowl from the closet.

            ‘’I wish I knew. But, I have you now. You never cease to amaze me.’’