Chapter 21

Chapter 21

                ‘’He is beautiful.’’

                May and Waverly went to the stables early in the morning. Smell of wood and hay hit the nostrils, not very pleasant. Waverly set aside the basket containing various tools for grooming while May excitedly petted a black horse.

                ‘’His name is Storm, Darius loves him. It is odd to refer to a horse by using a name, but Storm feels like a part of our family. Here, feed him,’’ she grabbed a few strands from a haystack and handed it over. May wasn’t so sure if she should give it to him, Storm was much bigger than her.

                ‘’He won’t bite, don’t worry.’’ Waverly placed her hand on May’s and brought the hay closer to Storm. With a leap, he took all of it in his mouth. May squealed, bouncing backwards. She was afraid Storm would jump on her. The horse chewed, neighing. They laughed at the adorable creature before them.

                ‘’Do you want to help me groom him?’’ Waverly took a ribbon hanging from the basket and tied her blond hair in a tail to stop it from flailing around her face while working. May nodded, crouching by the basket. She carefully untangled a piece of ribbon and took off the lid. She saw nothing familiar, a bunch of wooden and metals tools in all shapes. Most of them looked like her hair brush.

                ‘’Why do they need to groom him? What does it mean?’’

                She saw Alexander riding a horse, but never petting or cleaning it. He only picked one saddle from the large stables and put it on the horse before hoisting himself up. He didn’t let her ride or take her with him only for company. She had to be satisfied with watching from her chamber in the tower.

                ‘’Just like you need to take a bath, their coat needs cleaning. It will be healthy and shiny if you do it every day.’’

                ‘’It… Storm won’t attack me?’’ She asked, puzzled.

                ‘’Not if you have your hand on his back all the time. He needs to know where you are and what you’re doing. Also, never be at the front.’’ Waverly tied Storm securely to a post in the stall. It wasn’t necessary, Storm liked to be groomed, but May wasn’t feeling safe. It was time to change it.

                ‘’What should I do first?’’ May eyed Storm, not trusting him at all.

                ‘’For now? Just watch. I’ll pick his hooves. Waverly slowly lowered herself to a crouch and picked up Storm’s foot. When he calmed down, she took a pick from the basket and make sure no dirt or small rocks stayed behind. It was a daily routine, the village was covered in tiny sharp rocks that got stuck in his feet. He wouldn’t be in a lot of pain, but it was enough to make him uncomfortable and restless. May walked behind Waverly to take a closer look.

                ‘’There you go, boy. You can now take the comb and rub it against the coat in circular motion, May.’’ May bit her lip, she couldn’t decide what to take from all things Waverly brought to the stables. Sensing her anxiety, Waverly pointed at a strange comb.

                ‘’This one?’’ May lifted it up.

                ‘’Yes.’’ She carefully set Storm’s foot down and took the basket, taking everything out on a board.

                ‘’This one is to remove dirt and excess hair. The next is to make sure no dirt left. The last one is very soft brush, opposite of the previous, and it can be used on all areas. There is a smaller one for the face as well. Last of all, finish with a damp sponge and brush out the mane and tail with a wide comb.’’ Waverly explained every brush and comb, putting them in order of use. May gulped, intimidated by the complicity.