~fifteen~

Mood: Scared, Paranoid

~~~~~~~

You sat on your bed, tears never ceasing. You held your face in your hands, the terrifying ordeal replaying in your head. You may have been a police officer, but nothing could have prepared you for these unfortunate events. With this being your third incident, you were appalled and horrified. What had you done to these people? Why you?

Charles was outside of your room, leaning on the door. He was distraught as well.

He knew something was wrong when the mogul ended their meeting so quickly, but did he really have a good reason to chase after you? After everything he did to make you feel protected, was he still not good enough to keep you safe? The image of his sister frowning at him in his mind put him over the edge, and he knew that he had to confront you.

~~~~

The door slammed open. Hearing the familiar, dreadful sound, you snapped your head over to it. Charles walked in, an unfamiliar scowl on his face. 

"Charles?.."

He ignored you. You instinctively crawled your way to the other side of the bed, hoping to have a comfortable amount of distance from him. Whatever was happening, this wasn't his usual loving, protective self.

He grabbed your legs and pulled you back, positioning you underneath him. Charles put your arms at your sides to keep you from moving too much. You squirmed in his hold, but he overpowered you.

"Why did you go with him?!"

You could only stare at him, eyes full of fear and confusion.

"Charles, I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Don't lie to me!"

The tears never had a chance to stop. You trusted him; you felt safe with him. But the disgusted and angry look on his face reminded you that he could be just as deadly as your kidnapper was.

"... Do you think I left you on purpose?" 

Your soft voice weakened Charles' rage. 

"After everything that I've been through," Your lip quivered as you spoke, "you really think that I want to get deeper into this? Into this world? This madness?"

Charles' face was expressionless, the two of you just staring at each other. 

After a few tense minutes, Charles sighed and let go of your wrists. Without a word, the mobster left the room, shutting the door gently behind him. You sat up, holding yourself by your shoulders as the last of your tears fell down your cheeks.

Charles clenched his fists together, ignoring the waves of his comrades as he walked past them. After everything you had gone through, he realized that the two of you weren't much different. How could he have the nerve to say you left in your own will? Even if you had, why would he blame you?

~~~~

Charles always had Camille to protect. In a world where kids were but a second thought, the two of them had to fend for themselves. The grew up supporting each other, and she was the only person he could trust. 

When he found out that Camille was dating the leader of a rival gang, Charles could do nothing but let her make her own choices. Although she would still talk with him, the burning sadness of betrayal was something he couldn't ignore. His bitterness ruined their relationship. 

He sat on your bed, hand resting on your knee. It was almost like the universe was giving him another chance at redemption. You were so easy to trust; to understand. As if that wasn't enough for him, you had run into him before. You were the one to save Camille's life the first time. If only he would have taken over from there.

He wouldn't lose to fate. Not again.

"I'm sorry."

You didn't speak. 

"I wasn't always this explosive. I used to have fun and enjoy myself. Sure, life wasn't the most forgiving for me, but that's not an excuse I can make in front of someone who has been through the same, if not more, amount of pain."

You said nothing, only glancing his way. Your eyes spoke frustration, distrust, and hesitation. You didn't have enough in you to push his hand off. Who knew what kind of outrage he would have?

"When my sister got involved with another man, that's when things really went downhill. It destroyed our relationship. He was part of another empire; one that always threatened ours. It caused a lot of distrust between the two of us and we drifted apart soon after."

"What was he like?"

"Arrogant. I could never be around him. I never understood what Camille saw in him. I tried to help her get away from him, but she refused to leave his side. I knew what he was doing to her."

He felt your hand lay on top of his, "She said she wanted to stay with him. I warned her that he may be unpredictable, but she ignored my advice. And about a month and a half ago, I was told that he had killed her."

"Charles, what was his name?"

He looked over at you, his eyes exhausted.

"Ivan."

"What?" You shuffled away from him, looking at the ground below the bed, "He's supposed to be in prison. I knew it. I knew it was him in that club."

You looked back over at Charles, heart racing, "He shouldn't be out Charles. Where is he?"

He said nothing.

"Charles, I need to know where he is. Please tell me you know."

An expressionless gaze was all he gave you. Your heart beat faster.

"No, no, this isn't happening. Charles, if he finds me, he's going to kill me. He'll murder me for what I put him through."

You got up out of the bed, not giving Charles another glance as you walked to the door.

"If you're not going to do anything, then I will. I'm not going to sit around while he's out there. He's the one that kidnapped me. He's the one that took me to that warehouse. He's the one who got me into this mess."

You paused, waiting for a reply. None came. You gripped onto the doorknob.

"I'm not letting this get anymore messed up then it already is."

Before you could walk out, Charles' arms wrapped tightly around your waist. You struggled against him, agitated, angry, and hurt. Someday's, he would treat you like royalty. But now, it felt as if he was treating you like a prisoner. 

After what felt like several minutes, you finally relaxed in his hold. You held your hands to your face, embarrassed, upset, and scared. All of this was so overwhelming.

He turned you around, holding you close against him.

"I won't let him hurt you again."

He rubbed your back, sadness crashing over him as he felt your body shake.

"I promise."