Loose Change

"The Debenhams downstairs portal," Kay said. They were standing at the small side entrance in Orford Place. Kay peered through the glass of the doors. The shop interior was lit but the doors were locked. Inside, Cassie could see the usual two staircases – one on the left that led up to the ground floor, the other down to the basement.

"It's shut," Cassie said, between gasps. The run from in front of the old library hadn't been far but she wasn't exactly fit. She peered behind her, back towards Brigg Street but, so far, there was no sign that the things had followed them.

"Course it's shut," Kay replied. "It's nearly eight o'clock."

"How do you know? I thought you couldn't track time."

"City Hall clock said seven forty-five when we were eating."

"Oh."

"You still feel something's inside there?"

"Yes. Don't know what it is, though."

"Of course not. You'll get the hang of it in time, though. Hah, time! I made a joke."

Cassie, her eyes still scanning the street behind her, didn't laugh.

Kay rattled one of the doors several times and then Cassie saw movement as someone, no wait, not a someone – it was a something – came up the stairs from the basement. Cassie stepped back. It was the guy from the bus, though this time he had eyes – they were dark bottomless staring things that looked mostly pupil but probably weren't. He reached the door and came through it as if it wasn't there.

"Hello, Cass and Cass," he said and then, to Kay directly, "Oh wait, am I early or late? Does Cass know Cass is Cass?"

"Yes, and even if she didn't, she would now thanks to you," Kay said. "We need to get inside, please. There's trouble on the way."

"Wombling free?" the man said.

Kay sighed. "Just the first bit at the moment. Ah, one of them has found us."

Cassie squeaked. One of the gliding creatures had been sliding along the pavement on Brigg Street but it had turned towards Orford Place and was heading directly for them.

The man thing stared at Cassie. "No curls in the middle of her forehead," he said, waggling a finger at her. "Curls needs curls," he added with a nod as if that made perfect sense.

"Not yet, she's only just started. No time. Mine will have to do," Kay said, pointing at her own hair that did more than vaguely curl.

"Suppose so, but she too straight. Straight and narrow, don't get you in the barrow."

Kay tutted and rolled her eyes but then there was a click and one of the doors swung open.

"Quick," Kay said. "In before he changes his mind or that thing gets any closer."

Cassie dodged past the man thing and followed Kay into the shop.

"Mind not changed, entrance gained. Hello nasty, not so fasty," she heard the man say before the door swung shut.

Kay sped down the stairs but Cassie watched, mouth agape as, outside the shop entrance, the man punched his fist through the creature's face. It immediately retaliated, oozing over him in an attempt to enmesh him. His flying arms punching in all directions diverted its attention from Kay and Cassie.

"They're fighting," Cassie called to Kay.

"Yeah, they do that. Leave them to it and get down here."

"Are we safe now?" Cassie asked when she reached the basement. She looked around, her heart still pumping in her ears.

"We're never safe."