Chapter 10: Epilogue

The sun was hanging low above the waves of the ocean, it's scarlet reflection rippling across the dark blue waves. The sky was collage of pinks and red, another day looming to an end.

The jungle was growing quiet as all the wildlife settled for the night to come. But two wasn't quite yet done with their day.

On the beach, in between the luscious jungle and the ocean's lapping waves, were two people.

Both had their swords drawn, expertly striking at each other, somersaulting out from beneath the attacks, and showing off quite the impressive fighting techniques. All the time they were grinning broadly.

"You're getting good at this again!" Petra said to Jesse as they both sheathed their sword, high-fiving each other. "You're going to be back to your old skill in no time at all!"

"Well of course, I have the best trainer I could ask for." Jesse responded, nudging Petra with her elbow.

"Three years, and she's still full of mush." Petra said, rolling her eyes playfully. She grasped Jesse by the arm, pulling her friend along as she broke into a jog. "Come on! I'm starving, can't wait to see what Lukas whipped up."

Laughing, Jesse broke into a run after her friend. Her eyes were gleaming with excitement, both her blind and good one. Despite everything she's been through, it was no secret that Jesse was at her happiest.

It has indeed been three years since Beacontown chased the three of them out of the gates. It wasn't an easy start, that was for sure. Even after their arrival at the island, it still wasn't easy at all.

But here they were, three entire years later. Completely adapted to their new life, one filled with adventure and happiness. All three of them were able to enjoy the things they loved in each other's company, their bonds only strengthening as the years passed.

Their scars were no longer holders of all the horrid memories they had endured. Instead they were reminders that no matter how dark times got, they'd always be able to push on.

Jesse and Petra broke through the shrubbery, slowing to a walk as they approached the large jungle tree in front of them. It's large branches supported a small tree-house, one Lukas had designed and built himself.

Jesse stopped, staring up at the tree-house with a smile on her face. She turned her head slightly, glancing back over her shoulder. Seeing the ocean through the trees, the beach that she and Petra practised their sword fighting on every evening.

"You coming?" Petra asked as she stopped at the tree-house's ladder.

Jesse turned back again, her gaze meeting Petra's. For a second taking in her friend's appearance, the various scars that decorated her face, her once-short red hair that was beginning to cascade down her back.

"Is everything okay?" Petra asked her, taking a step back towards Jesse.

"Just thinking." Jesse said. "Our lives sure changed, didn't they?"

"And how do you feel about that?" Petra asked her, almost sounding a little worried.

Jesse hesitated, chewing over her thoughts. "We may have lost a lot, including contact with our closest friends." She said, smiling. "But if I could go back in time, I wouldn't change a thing. I'm happy about where we ended up."

Petra broke into a grin as well, nodding. "With you on that one, friend." She said, giving Jesse a slap on the shoulder. "Come on, let's go."

Jesse glanced over her shoulder once more, smiling at the setting sun. And then she broke into a jog after Petra, the two of them laughing as they raced the last few metres to the ladder.

___

Aw man, I can't believe I finally wrapped up this book as well :')

Before I get into the mushy end of the book a/n, I just want to say sorry for literally calling this a chapter and an epilogue XD It's just an epilogue, but it would have driven me nuts if the last chapter was chapter 9, lol-

I really, really loved this story, it's probably one of my favourite ones I've done. I was so excited to start with it, and enjoyed every second of sharing it with you guys, seeing how you all theorised for it to end, and hearing your thoughts throughout the story!

And of course a bunch of happy Lukesse fangirls who were squealing over not-intended-to-be-ship-scenes, but we won't talk about that xD

This was also my first intended short story, I went into it with the plan of keeping it around ten chapters. This story just didn't strike me as a slow moving story with a lot of fillers.
I actually had people I talked to while it was in progress, tell me that I could do much better than just ten chapters.
But like I said, I intended for this to be a short story from the start. Let's face it, there's a lot of parts in this book where I could have written more. The time skip between chapter 1 and 2, time on the boat between them fighting the drowned and them arriving on the island. It wasn't like I didn't know how, I just kinda liked the way it was flowing.
So I hope that you all enjoyed it, despite it being a short story - we have longer ones to come, after all!

Speaking of what's to come, my next book - Final Days - will be out in the near future! I'm going on Holiday soon, but I'll start uploading it once I get back. To pick a set date, I think I'm going to go with 12 February for it's release date. So I hope you're all looking forward to that!

(Sorry ya'll have to wait a bit... blame the fact that I have a life other than wattpad XD)

And now... I actually don't think I have anything else to say. I'm sad to be saying goodbye to this book, but very excited for what's to come.

So on that note, time to flip the switch on 'completed' and end Exile for good. Thank you so much to each and every reader for all the support I have gotten on this book, the reads, the votes, especially the comments - thank you all!