Walk The Line

I wish the bell just wouldn't ring. It's not often that I wish for an unending social studies class, but I'd prefer to never leave that classroom again, than go to another rehearsal with that daffodil. He has some nerve, that kid. Unfortunately, the good times never last. The shrill sound of the school bell irritated my sensitive ears, bringing an unhappy end to the school day.
Perhaps I can just ignore him. He'll go work on his dances, and leave me alone to finish my work. I don't want to have to deal with him today.

That goal was shattered upon almost immediate entrance of the first floor hallway. Through the crowded corridor, I watched as a much larger boy forcibly shoved that hyperactive skinny ginger against his locker.
God damn it.
I sped to the locker, unable to stop my feet. I hated that I was helping him. I don't why I'm even bothered. Once I saw, my body took over for me, disregarding any of my common sense or desire.

I grabbed onto the back of the taller's jacket, and yanked. Yanked him away from the locker so hard, I nearly pulled something.

"What the hell, man? This isn't a fucking John Hughes movie" I scoffed in remark to his choice of action "at least pick on someone your own size, asshole"

I roughly and halfheartedly helped Connor up, his face red with scratches from the metal of the locker.

I should have stayed out of it. I should've minded my own business, I don't even want anything to do with him. It just happened. And my defense of him prompted the boy's attention to me. Even compared to me, he was tall. He gave me one of the most purely intimidating looks I've ever seen in my life, before he agreed that I was a more suitable target. He slammed my back against the lockers, the padlock jabbing into my back. People were staring. Why couldn't I have just looked the other way?

With very few options left, and my adrenaline working overtime, I felt tension build up in my hands. I clenched my fist and sent it straight to the student's cheek. A soft 'pop' emerged from my hand, though unfortunately, that's all the principal was there to see. Me, fighting some half witted neanderthal in the hall.

"Kevin Price, You are skating on very thin ice!" She scolded as she grabbed my arm and pulled me away from the boy.

"But he didn't-" Connor rushed to defend me, but was cut off by the angered administrator

"I don't want to hear it, no excuses"

"But he-"

"Are you looking for detention too, Mr. McKinley?"

"No.."

She hauled me off to a separate, empty classroom from the other, leaving me there for the foreseeable future.
She locked the door behind her, ensuring I'd stay sedentary. My parents are going to be pissed.

I was only granted ten minutes to myself, before I received a text message.

'I'm sorry.'

Confused, I slid my phone under the desk and sent back a reply.

'Who is this?'

'Look up.'

I looked up at the door, seeing Connor outside the window of it. He waved to me, an embarrassed smile on his face

'How did you get my number?'

'You called me about the homework a few days ago. I'm sorry.'

'It's fine. Just get out of here, You'll get detention too.'

'Thank you for helping me.'