02 | beautiful boy

4 years ago, August

11th Arrondissement Bastille, Paris

One morning my friend and room mate, Lou, was introducing me to a girl she knew from inter-railing. 

Her friend was called Adele and she was studying art, and Lou had a very obvious crush on her. Due to the fact she blushed every time she said her name.

Little did I know, this was the day I would first see the face of a boy who change my life forever.

But then you never do see that coming do you?

"What are you reading?" Lou asked poking her nose over my shoulder to see my book.

I positioned myself so she could read as well. We were sat on the metro.

We walked in the sunny streets side by side on the way to her friend, Adele. Everyone was busy, everyone was trying to find an excuse to go home early from work so that they could be out for later.

She laughed and slung her arm through mine.

We stopped abruptly and she checked her phone."We're here!" She shouted through the buzzer and then the door swung open. 

A girl with blue hair and brown roots who had paint caked clothes and was wiping brushes on her jeans enveloped us both into a hug.

"How are you both? God I'm so sorry this place is a mess I've just been finishing up on my assessment for this term so this place looks like a hurricane hit. I'm Adele by the way."

Her words were shot out at rapid fire and she pulled me into a hug.

The sun poured through the room and the canvases looked so inviting, begging for colour.

"You're so lucky." I breathed. "This place is beautiful." My eyes trying to learn how to drink or eat or feast. What a waste that eyes can only see.

"Thank you! I'm so glad you could make it Lou, it's been too long. But I am so sorry about the mess." She turned to me. "You're name is Cara right? Pretty name." She said whilst getting us an ashtray and boiling the kettle.

I thanked her. I never knew what to do with compliments.

Left on the table was an open sketchpad. Sketches of a young man stared back at me. He had cheekbones and a jawline that looked like someone had carved him.

He looked so free. I brushed over his face with a finger gently.

During our conversation I kept going back to the sketch of the man.

"He looks so familiar." Lou cooed, kicking herself for not being able to place a name to such a striking face.

"That's a family friend, he's sweet. He's in town you'll have to meet him. He'll love you guys." Adele answered.

She turned to me. 

"Cara I hope this isn't too much to ask but if you would be able to find the time to sit and model for me, for class I need to work on my sketches as much as possible and I like your face." 

I laughed at her bluntness. 

"Come over on Sunday will you?" She asked. I nodded.

"Of course." Lou answered for me.

"Okay well, I need to go shut myself back up before my teacher gives me another deadline," she gestured to her work, "meet me tomorrow night for drinks? I'll introduce you to my friends!"

Once outside I turned to Lou. I grabbed her hand. "Let's go."

"And do what?" She asked stepping onto the street. 

I closed my eyes and saw the beautiful boys face etched in my eyelids, glowing from the sun.

"Live." I answered. "Let's go and live."

Playlist:
1. coffee breath - sofia mills
2. what dreams are made of - evann mcintosh
3. falling for u - peachy!, mxmtoon