◤━━━━━━━━━━━━━━◥

"路遥知马力,日久见人心"Just as distance tests a horse's strength, time can reveal a person's heart

"路遥知马力,日久见人心"
Just as distance tests a horse's strength, time can reveal a person's heart.
◣━━━━━━━━━━━━━━◢

Feeling a burst of air hitting her face was the first thing she felt when she stirred awake.

When her senses finally came back, Wen Mexico realized there were multiple voices. They were all repeating the name "Lin Hua".

"Lin Hua, wake up please!"

"Jiejie, please wake up!"

Not being able to make the voices go away, she grunted.

"She's waking up! Shifu, she's waking up!"

Shifu? Wen Meixiao thought, I don't know any mentors.

Suddenly she opened her eyes and saw a crowd of children looking down on her. Surprised, she sat up quickly, regretting it because it made her feel dizzy.

"Relax." A deep yet gentle voice said. "You're gravely injured." Wen Meixiao looked up to see an old man with a white beard. She assumed he must be the one the children addressed as Shifu.

Feeling a pain in her left leg, the injured girl examined her body for the first time. She was thinner, she didn't know how much she bled, but the wounds made by arrows were not bleeding anymore. There was a huge bruise on her stomach and her left leg was positioned unnaturally.

"Lin Hua, where have you been? I saw you lying in the river next to the lotuses and thought you were dead! After all, lotuses symbolise death!"

He wasn't exactly wrong. The old Wen Meixiao had died the moment she jumped off the cliff.

Wen Meixiao coughed. "I'm sorry-" Her voice was gravelly, she didn't know how long she had been knocked out. "I'm not Lin Hua."

The old man looked at her bewildered. "I knew the wound on your head must've made you lose some memories, but I didn't think it would be this bad."

"No! I didn't lose any memories. I really am not Lin Hua! My name is Wen Meixiao, and I just ran away from the Wen clan!" She gestured to her outfit. "See, I'm still wearing their clothes!"

"I'm sorry, but I have never heard of the Wen clan." The old man replied.

Now it was Wen Meixiao's turn to be bewildered. Had the river brought her so far away to a place far from civilization? From what she knew, the Wen clan was very notorious, people from many miles away knew and feared the clan, yet this man really didn't know?