◤━━━━━━━━━━━━━━◥

"宁做有瑕玉,不做无暇石"A diamond with a flaw is worth more than a pebble without imperfections

"宁做有瑕玉,不做无暇石"
A diamond with a flaw is worth more than a pebble without imperfections.
◣━━━━━━━━━━━━━━◢

The darkness of the cave surrounded Wen Meixiao's small body as she shuddered from the chills. The only source or warmth was the torch in her hands that was also her only source of light.

They were going to kill a big fat tortoise and Wen Meixiao was not allowed to join in on the action, but to only protect Wang Lingjiao, Wen chao's concubine, who probably had an even bigger and fatter attitude than the tortoise.

Wen Meixiao was walking next to Nie Huaisang, the only person she knew the best out of the whole group, and unfortunately, her only friend outside of Wen Qing and her brother. The said man was, of course, shaking and trembling from fright. But Wen Meixiao knew she could not stay in the cave. Tonight was the night of her big escape, and for the whole day, she was supposed to be with Wen Qing to discuss about tonight's plan.

However, Wen Chao always had to ruin things. Yes, killing a tortoise would be fun, but Wen Meixiao had to be responsible. If she was the one who came up with the plan to escape then she had to go out with it. She couldn't just ditch it for a giant tortoise, although, that would be funny.

Nie Huaisang could notice that today, Wen Meixiao was more quiet and neutral than normal. Usually, she would be talking about the most random things, like the times she saw a cat with an itchy bum, but today she was silent like a rock.

"Are you are right? You're very quiet today." He spoke up, whispering. "What are you thinking about?"

About my death. "Oh, just the size of the tortoise." She lied. "I hope is big-"

"I hope it's small." They said in unison and giggled quietly.

The group then ran into a grand lake, illuminated by lights from the creaks of the cave. Wen Meixiao tried to peek over everyone's shoulders to try to spot the tortoise but due to her height, failed to do so.

"Go hang someone up and let some blood be drawn out to lure the monster." From the corners of her ears, Wen Meixiao could hear Wen Chao's crusty voice.

Wen Meixiao paused, looking around to see who was stupid enough to take the bait. Suddenly, Wen Chao's concubine pointed at another girl in a pink hanfu. "Take her."

Wen Chao tried to convince her to choose someone else. Eventually, due to that female dog's persuasion, Wen Chao agreed and ordered for the girl to be tied up.

Wen Meixiao watched it all unfold in front of her, Wen Chao's guards walking towards the poor girl and her running to hide behind members of the Lan sect.

"Whoever dares protect her, I'll make sure you never get out of this cave!" Wen Chao ordered, and it convinced the Lan sect members to move away from the girl.

Wen Meixiao spoke out. "Can't we just cut someone's blood and dump it in the lake instead of hanging someone?"

"Nonsense!"

Wen Meixiao sighed and gave an 'at least I tried convincing the unconvinc-able' look to Nie Huaisang, who also shrugged.

Eventually, after more running around, the girl in pink found a spot behind Lan Wanji and Jin Zixuan, who bravely refused to move. Wen Chao tried to order to to move but after many failures, he screeched and ordered them to be killed.

Soon, all the Wen Clan cultivators were fighting with the disciples from the Lan and Jin clan, who fought back. Wen Meixiao felt a harsh tug on her sleeves, and looked back to see Wen Chao's concubine, Wang Lingjiao.

"You're supposed to be my bodyguard." She said in a disgusted manner.

Wen Meixiao did not say anything, until Wei Wuxian's voice could be heard speaking against Wen Chao. "Those who take advantage of their power and use it to bully others, should all be killed." Behind him was Jiang Cheng, who looked like he wanted to die.

"How dare you speak so wildly like that!" Wen Chao snapped. "You should be killed!"

"I spoke wildly? These are the words of your famous ancestor, Wen Mao!" Wei Wuxian took out a book.

Ooh burn, Wen Meixiao thought. She wouldn't have known since she never bothered to read the history of the Wen clan, and she was pretty sure Wen Chao hadn't studied a single book also.

Suddenly the sound of clashing swords filled the ears and Wen Meixiao could only watch in silence as all her clan members and friends fought. She wanted to step in, to tear everyone apart, but on whose side?

Maybe her friends will understand that she had no choice but to side with her own clan. When she was about to take a step forward, the cave began to rumble like Wen Meixiao's stomach when she had to skip dinner for being disobedient.

A big, fat turtle slowly poked it's head out of the water, it was even fatter than Wen Meixiao pictured. It opened its big mouth and a gust of smelly wind hit them like a brick. Everyone was silent, mouth agape.

In the second it took a coin to drop, everyone made a cowardly dash for the exit. "Block the door!" She heard Wen Chao cry, and looked back to see them using boulders to cover up the hole. "Hey, you can't do that!" She cried, her friends were still stuck inside. Seeing that everyone ignored her, Wen Meixiao tried to move one of the boulders but was too weak to do so. This was the first time she regretted not paying attention in cultivation class.

She felt sweat run down her face. This was the first time she left someone for death, and it was a friend too- why couldn't it be Wen Chao? If she was going to fake her death and run away, but before that, leave someone for death, she would've love for that someone to be Wen Chao. But no, fate said no.

Wen Meixiao stared at the cave for one last time, thoughts running through her young mind, and she decided to run. The sky was starting to set. She had spent the whole afternoon in the cave and she needed to go back to Wen Qing. But at the same time...what about her friend?

She as snapped out of her thoughts when she heard a female voice call out for her name, rather angrily. "WEN MEIXIAO!" She gulped, knowing it was Wen Qing.

An: this chapter is mostly a filler- I just wanted Wen Meixiao to have one more interaction with the main cast, to display her personality and decision making choices, before the next chapter. Next chapter is where things get juicy.