Little Piece → Bucky Barnes

"Y/N, where do babies come from?"

The question shocked you, so unexpected and so casual coming from the four year old. Steve's son, Mason, wasn't even looking up at you as he asked, still looking down at the toy truck he pushed back and forth. You just watched him, wondering where a thought like that would even come from.

Mason was never one to ask questions, let alone ones that had you freezing in place when he asked them. You just cleared your throat, looking back at your book and repeating the words your mother said to you all those years ago.

"A big bird comes around every nine months with a little blue or pink bundle-"

"No, that's wrong, Uncle Sam said that is just a story," he cut you off, you lowered the book and looked back at him, narrowing your eyes when you saw him looking at you.

Damn it, Sam.

"You're lucky you're my favourite, Mason Rogers," you sighed. Mason only giggled and stood, climbing up onto the couch next to you to eagerly wait for a real answer to his question. Putting your book aside, you just stared at him. His eyes were a perfect spring sky, his mind clear and his smile warmer than the gentle sun. He certainly had his father's good looks and her mother's intelligence.

His wide-eyed, curiosity could only be appreciated for a short time. You sighed and moved so you were sitting sideways on the couch, legs tucked up under you and elbow resting on the back.

"Do you really want to know Mason?" He grinned and nodded, looking as if his head would fly off any second. "Well, oh curious one," he giggled again when you flicked his nose, putting a smile on your own face in return, "when two people really love each other-"

"Like mommy and daddy?"

"Yes, like mommy and daddy," you replied "when two people really love each other, a small piece of that love goes into the mom and the more love there is, the bigger the piece gets and it just gets bigger and bigger until it turns into a baby."

Mason just stared at you, eyes wide, taking in the new information. Then he blinked, and you watched as he slowly moved forward and poked your stomach. "Do you have that little piece then?"

You tilted your head, giving him a questioning look waiting for an explanation. However, he just sat there, waiting for an answer.

"Why would I have it?"

"For you and Bucky!"

You just stared at the boy, eyes wide, wondering where he would get such an idea. He beamed at you, as if he'd just said the smartest thing in the world.

Something to be proud of.

"Because you and Bucky love each other!" He added, thinking you needed the extra explanation.

"It's not the same, Mason, Bucky loves me the same way he loves his other friends. That love doesn't turn into babies."

His smile faded, confusion taking its place. Slowly, he slid off the couch, going back to playing with his toys, any other talk of the matter completely vanishing. You were lucky four year olds could only talk about something for so long. You went back to your book, paying no attention to the writing, your mind wondering to what could have possibly made Mason think of such a thing. You and Bucky were close, you'd give him that, but Bucky was close with a lot of people.

"Mason, shouldn't you be in bed?"

The voice scared you, making you jump and slam your book shut without thinking. Bucky raised an eyebrow at you, questioning what had you so distracted.