The Kings Mansion

"We're here

"We're here." Matthew informed as the car carrying us came to a halt in front of a huge steel gate. The driver said something in the intercom, and the gate opened with a beeping sound. The ride started again through a paved road, around a stone carved water fountain and stopped.

After Matthew hopped out, I followed behind, my jaw almost dropping to the floor. The huge four-storied white building looked like something out of the magazines. A mellowy fragrance seized my attention to the sides, neatly trimmed rose bushes ornated the garden around as the evening sky ablazed with the last rays of the setting sun casted a warm, orangish glow over it.

"I think I saw a fly flying in your mouth," Matt whispered, breaking me from my trance.

I looked at him, my mouth still hanging open. "It's so beautiful," I gushed.

He smiled. "Welcome to the Kings Mansion, Mrs. King!"

The new name hit me in the gut like a punch, breaking my rapture and reminding me of the reality. No matter how beautiful this place was, the dwellers inside only reminded me of monsters from nightmares.

On approaching the porch, a woman standing at the huge wooden double door, greeted us with a warm smile dwelling on her roundish freckled face.

"Welcome, ma'am." She stepped aside to let us in.

"Thank you." I frowned. Ma'am?

"I am Donna, head of the maids here."

Oh.

"Please call me Ember," I said, returning her smile. She seemed like a nice lady. I didn't want her to call me ma'am since she was older than me. It felt weird.

I stepped inside and looked around. This time I tried my best not to let my mouth hang open and look crazy.

"Struggling sunshine?" Matthew whispered from behind earning a playful blow from my elbow. I smirked satisfied as a groan was heard.

The spacious foyer consisted of two grand staircases with glass railings in the middle. A gorgeous chandelier hung from the ceiling. The marble tiled floor was so clear one could see their faces in it, and the white walls were a beautiful combination of dark golden and black decorations.

A bark pulled me out of my gawking trance. I turned my gaze to the direction the sound came from, and there were two Siberian huskies up on the steps.

Doggos! Waves of excitement rushed through my veins making all the worries vaporize. But my happiness died, and fear took over my heart as soon as those two started running towards me, barking. Closing my eyes I braced myself for a bite or something... but none came.